Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
chevy motor -> ford trans?????

Thread: chevy motor -> ford trans?????

chevy motor -> ford trans?????

Hey Guys I am thinking about putting a chevy motor in my car when it goes "thinking", and have a 871 blower sticking out of my hood. Now I know there is a k-member for the switch, but is it possable for me to use my tremec TKO? You would think someone makes a conversion bell. If I was going to do this it wouldn't be for like 1 1/2 years anyway just getting some info before I do it.

Thanks
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

yeah i believe i've seen chevy's in magazines with 3550's. Although i don't know where to tell you to start looking.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Well ajeracing.com sells the crossmembers, and 5speedtransmission.com emailed me back and said they could help me. So I told him what I have and I am waiting for a reply.

It kinda sucks that I just spent alot of money on this car adding parts for the 302, but man I'll tell you. I'll be the only one in town or really near me that has a blower sticking out of the hood. I could do 2 things. Buy a notch with a 4cyl really cheap, and add all of the 302 stuff into there, or I could sell the stuff and have a big loss.
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...

i'd keep it simple and just do a 351. I am.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

yeah, but you won't have that blower sticking out of the hood. You don't see many mustangs with that on them :)

But I don't know everyone wants somthing, but some things never happen. I have alot of thoughts on this. If it turns out to be to much of a pita I'm gonna say F**k That, but it would be cool. I have a good friend who fab's alot of stuff. He makes his own T-Bucket's etc.. He could help me out on this, but still if it's to much forget it.

But If anyone has any opinions on how to do it please let me know...

:)
    Mark
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...

they make a holley powercharger that would more than stick out of the hood! LOL you'd probably have to get a periscope to see over it! When they are set up right they run great. Mountains of torque.

Junior SCH Member
    i did exactly that. i have a blower on my 383 SBC and i run a true ford TKO Tremec. there is a place that changes the ford TKO to drop right in with a stock muncie bellhousing. i found the X2C to have a higher horsepower rating which i felt i needed so i used another method to make it work.

i got mine from X2C motorsports. nice trans and takes a lot of abuse. they sell conversion bellhousing that have chevy block bolt pattern and toploader ford trans mounting holes. in some cases, you may need an adapter plate as the input shaft on the ford Tremec is longer than a stock chevy. i have an apapter plate i got with my mccleoud bellhousing i am not using now. as it turns out, i only needed an additional 1/4" and just milled the pilot end down a bit and didn't use the adapter plate. shifter will sit back about 2-3" farther than stock muncie location.

the same company that makes the GM version of the TKO, sells crossmembers that make it a drop in as well (and Speedo). just depends on how much horsepower it needs to hold down. there are some serious frod versions of the TKO and then a hi-po stock TKO thats converted to GM.

check out my site for pics.

www.msm.cz28.com
    Last edited by MSM69Z28; 12-17-2003 at 12:20 PM.
    www.BoostedHorsepower.com

69 Camaro Z28
    383 D1 Procharger
    Procharger Sheet Metal Intercooler
    750 cfm 4150
    Extreme Velocity Carb Hat
    Trick Flow Aluminum Heads
    Edelbrock Super Victor Intake
    Crower Solid Roller Cam
    X2CMotorsports Tremec TKO TransTKO

Nice car/Pics.

The thing is I see I can get a bell to fit the tremec + I see I can get the tremec converted to chevy to fit also. I see I can get my trans on a 350. The problem is the clutch fork etc... "I think thats the only thing left that I need to get strait in my head :)"

A ford runs on a cable which pulls the fork toward the front. I chevy pushes towards the back of the car. I really really don't want to change my pedal setup. Thats the part that is really bothering me. If I found a way to convert those pedals to a hyd clutch or somthing than I guess everything would be fine.

Helpfull Hint: Always plan ahead of time.
    Mark
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...

Junior SCH Member
    hmm.. the pedal set up really doesn't have anything to do with the trans being used. it depends on your clutch set up (manual vs hydraulic, push vs pull, etc.). i changed the clutch disc to a 26 spline got a ford throwout bearing to fit the input shaft and the rest i used from the muncie set up. clutch fork, pressure plate, etc.. all the same from the muncie set up. works fine.

just fyi.

mike
    www.BoostedHorsepower.com

69 Camaro Z28
    383 D1 Procharger
    Procharger Sheet Metal Intercooler
    750 cfm 4150
    Extreme Velocity Carb Hat
    Trick Flow Aluminum Heads
    Edelbrock Super Victor Intake
    Crower Solid Roller Cam
    X2CMotorsports Tremec TKO TransTKO

OK, Your car is a chevy it already matches the bellhousing for the clutch setup. It was alot easier for you.

I am wanting to do this on a 1990 mustang which uses a cable to pull on the fork. "Instead of a chevy hydrolic or manual which pushes the fork. So If I were to use the chevy bell I would have to convert the pedals to push the clutch fork on a chevy bell. I really don't think I could convert that.
    Mark
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...