Thread: '03 supercharger on '01 DOHC?

Junior SCH Member

'03 supercharger on '01 DOHC?

My new '01 4.6 DOHC arrives today in the crate. I will be installing it in my '97 S281 Saleen to replace the tired SOHC that's in it. I may also have access to an '03 OEM supercharger off of a wrecked cobra. Will this fit? When I checked the specs on the '01, I noticed that the crank was forged but that the pistons weren't. Are the pistons on an '03 forged? Will I still be able to run the supercharger with a fair degree of safety on my '01? I'm new to the supercharger arena so I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks.

The pistons in the 03 are forged, and also low compression. I think 8:1. Whereas your pistons are not forged and I believe yeild a 9 1/2:1 compression. If you keep the boost low, and have a good tune done, you shouldn't have any problems UNITL you start to get the itch for more boost.

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Senior SCH Member
    the 03 supercharger won't fit on an 01 long block. if i'm wrong let me know. you might want to consider a vortech, paxton, or ati supercharger for you new setup. if you want to stay with the 03 style blower, kennebell makes a kit that will work for you new motor.