Thread: How hard is install on novi 1000?

Junior SCH Member

How hard is install on novi 1000?

I'm going to buy a novi 1000 but dont want to pay the cash to get it installed. How hard is the install? I'm a novice mechanic. I've installed pullies, radiator, alternator, struts/shocks. That's about it. Car is a 92gt 5.0 with pretty much stock motor(Exhaust etc). It is an auto that has been beefed up. The motor has 140k miles on it. I just ran a compression check and got:

1: 133
    2: 135
    3: 140
    4: 135
    5: 140
    6: 140
    7: 145
    8: 135

Which i'm assuming looks good enough to run the blower right? Car is a daily driver and i really can't afford to fix a bunch of problems that might go wrong right now but really want more power. Thanks guys.

Save you cash and do the install on your own. It can be accomplished with simple hand tools easily over a weekend. The old manual leaves much to be desired, not sure if they have improved it since the revised two-belt Novi came out.

The pics in the back of the manual will be the most helpful, just take your time and all should go well.

You need to pick up a few items prior to install though.
    1. Bypass valve, there's a sticky at the top of this forum with a link to vendor with the best price I've found thus far.

2. ~ 2ft of 1" heater hose and 2 bungs to install the bypass.

3. 3/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) Tap for the oil pan, you can find this at any plumbing supply store.

4. Fuel line disconnect tool for the larger spring lock coupler on the fuel line, the one Paxton supplied me only fit the small coupler.

5. Fresh set of plugs, one heat range cooler and gapped down .028-.035 depending on your ignition set-up.

6. Enough oil to flush pan after tapping it and to refill.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head this am....

If you hit a snag while installing, post it up & we'd be glad to help out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member

install

it took me 6 hours it's a cake walk, get a big hammer for the hole in the pan, I had the two belt, the instuctions are ok, power is great, mine make almost no noise at all, total stealth. great blower for the money
    its broke again?

Junior SCH Member
    Thx for the replies guys... i'm still trying to decide between the blower and a nitrous kit. I'm in college so money is tight and i'm not sure if i could do the install on the blower.... not to mention having the boost on my motor all the time and it being high mileage. Still the power there all the time is very very tempting. :D

Go for the blower. As said above, do it yourself. It's an easy install. I did mine in about 7 hours with no instructions(being careful not to scracth the polished finsih). The blower won't be making boost at all times. Boost builds as the rpms build, and you will start to see boost above 2500 rpms(I think, Im a Novi 2000 guy, so it may be a little different). I run a Novi 2000 on a 117k mile motor, so don't worry about high mileage too much.
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Of course we are talking about real boost from a Novi2K :D

Junior SCH Member
    Can some1 give me a description of exactly what has to be removed and has to be done to install the novi 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by swtfiveoh
    Can some1 give me a description of exactly what has to be removed and has to be done to install the novi 1000?
    Here's a copy of the install instructions from Paxton's site.
    http://paxtonauto.com/pdf/manuals/4809630.pdf
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Junior SCH Member
    Thx for that link.... it actually doesn't look nearly as hard as I thought. The only thing that worries me is tapping the oil pan and messing with the fuel rails. Any1 in tx want to come help me out for some extra cash? :D

Where in TX are ya at???
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

Junior SCH Member
    In san marcos... also houston... lol. I go to school in sm but am from houston(parents live there still) and would be willing to travel back there for some help. ;)

DAmn that's a long trip for me I doubt my family would let me go....

Junior SCH Member
    LoL that's cool man thanks for the thought though... where you at anyway?

Junior SCH Member
    One more question... where's the cheapest place to buy it from? I think i've almost made up my mind to go ahead and make the plunge and order it. Buddy of mine said he'd come help me install even though he's never installed one either, hopefully the 2 of us can figure it out.

Email Jim@Fourvalve.com. Tell him Ross sent you. I bought my Novi through him. He's usually got great pricing.
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281