Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my t-5 gonna die?

SCH Member

Is my t-5 gonna die?

I have a 93 model year t-5(world class I think?) Will it pop If I get it to hook up? Tire spin is saving it right now I think. What should I replace it with?
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

I have a fairly fresh T-5 and I've had no problems so far with her. Put some slicks on and start doing some 5K launches then you might have some problems.;) :D

I good replacement would be a Tremec TR-3550 or TKO. Both good tranys. Or you could go with the 6 speed Viper T-56.;)
    1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

SCH Member
    What are the different Tremecs, some are pretty cheap.
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

The TKO has beefier gears and is a little stronger than the 3550.
    Both 5 speed. In Mustangs Unlimited there is only $100 difference between the two. ($1395-$1495) They do come with new bell housings too.
    1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

Hmmm

I ran a World Class t-5 behind my kenne Bell, never had no problems even when I ran ET streets. I have never heard of launches hurting t-5s. Power shifting kills t-5s, simple as that.

Even when I split the motor down the middle, the T-5 is still in great condition.
    393 stroker with YS-trim Vortech :-)

Re: Is my t-5 gonna die?

Originally posted by blownaway
    I have a 93 model year t-5(world class I think?) Will it pop If I get it to hook up? Tire spin is saving it right now I think. What should I replace it with?
    If you want a 5 speed, you need a Tremec! I'm still using the stock T-5 with my set up but I keep a spare just in case. The stockies are not made for all this horsepower and alot depends on how you shift. Ocasionally I will powershift so mine is currently getin ready to go, time to throw in the spare. But the Tremec's are well worth the money 3550, or the TKO but you have to change bellhousings and the TKO you have to change driveshafts.:D
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

Senior SCH Member
    my t-5 went when i put drag radials on and started powershifting. i bought the tremec 3550 from a local motorsports dealer for 1200 w/ the bell housing. i wish i would have put it in a long time ago.

you will need a new shifter with the tremec though, its a 6 bolt shift vs the 4 bolt of the t-5
    --
    93 GT

SCH Member
    Originally posted by 2Tone91GT
    The TKO has beefier gears and is a little stronger than the 3550.
    Both 5 speed. In Mustangs Unlimited there is only $100 difference between the two. ($1395-$1495) They do come with new bell housings too.
    This is wrong. The only diff between the tko and reg tremec are the input and out put shafts tko has beefier ones. The gears are the exact same. If you step up to the tko plus its 3rd and 4th gears are diff and a little stronger. Also your stock style clutch will not work with the tko, it takes a GM style clutch 28 spline.
    93 LX
    R331/AFR 205/Vic 5.0/? psi

1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

SCH Member
    Ok maybe I messed it somewhere but where does it say that the tko has better gears than the 3550? Only thing I see is the tko plus or II has better gears.

The standard, TKO, and TKO share the same case, and are nearly identical. The TKO features a stronger output shaft, and is rated at 525 ft/lbs. The TKO II is a TKO with a stronger 3rd gear, and a 5th gear ratio of 0.83.
    This come from one of your pages and says almost the same thing I did.
    93 LX

Senior SCH Member
    only difference between the tko and the tko II is 5th gear

here is the manufactor's website

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/home/home.asp
    --
    93 GT

Originally posted by Forcedpower
    Ok maybe I messed it somewhere but where does it say that the tko has better gears than the 3550? Only thing I see is the tko plus or II has better gears.

This come from one of your pages and says almost the same thing I did.
    Tremec 3550

Tremec 3550 "High Performance"

Tremec TKO
    1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

Actually I never said anything about a TKO II. I wasn't even aware that there was a TKO II. But now I do. :D All I was comparing was the 3550 and the TKO. This has gone way off topic. Lets try to help blownaway out.
    1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

Senior SCH Member
    I'm going with the Viper spec T56 when my stock tranny goes.

SCH Member
    Originally posted by ray95
    I'm going with the Viper spec T56 when my stock tranny goes.
    Why did you decide to go this way?

The t-5 I had in my car held up for many years. I run with drag radials not slicks and it held up very good. Many people told me it would not last a month but it lasted years. Get a good shifter I think thats one of the big problems people have with t-5's.
    93 LX