Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my t-5 gonna die?

Originally posted by Forcedpower
    Get a good shifter I think thats one of the big problems people have with t-5's.
    I agree 100%. I have gone through a B&M and Hurst and was killing the T5's left and right. (5 in 3 years) Then I bought a Pro 5.0 and that thing is a stud. Very solid feeling, great stops. IMO the B&M and Hurst seem sloppy.
    1998 GT
    S-Trim
    DSS Forged Short Block
    PIs
    Murillo Tuned
    347hp 354ft/lb

Senior SCH Member
    On my Novi-1000'd/n20'd stang I made baby food out of my tremec 3550 a few months back LOL! :D The main cluster was muushhhh and so was second, third, and fourth gear :O

I had it rebuilt and it works great. On slicks I know it put wear on the drivetrain.

The TKO is the next step up for me, or a t-56 tranny!

Maybe a lentech? :D

On my 93 cobra I have not had much drive time at all with the
    s-trim (in the process of tuning), but my question is how long before I hear the rattle(s) of death from the WC t-5 in the cobra

Another $250 bites the dust! LoL!

-Chris
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Easy on that Lentech talk now Chris ;)

Ian

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Goliath 5.0
    On my Novi-1000'd/n20'd stang I made baby food out of my tremec 3550 a few months back LOL! :D The main cluster was muushhhh and so was second, third, and fourth gear :O

I had it rebuilt and it works great. On slicks I know it put wear on the drivetrain.

The TKO is the next step up for me, or a t-56 tranny!

Maybe a lentech? :D

On my 93 cobra I have not had much drive time at all with the
    s-trim (in the process of tuning), but my question is how long before I hear the rattle(s) of death from the WC t-5 in the cobra

Another $250 bites the dust! LoL!

-Chris

the cobra's came with the "z-rated" t-5... they are almost on the same page as a tremec 3550. you will be suprised on how long it lasts
    --
    93 GT

SCH Member
    Sounds like My T-5 will work for now. By powershift do you mean, no clutching? I never do that. I also forgot to say I have a PRO 5.0 shifter that I love. I think I'll be fine until It blows, then Tremec. Is the trans the weak point for me right now ?, I shimmed the Trac loc really tight so it doesn't slip.
    93 LX Convertible, Saleen body kit & decals, Balanced 306, B303, 1.7rr, TRW Forged pistons, Explorer intake, GT40p heads,Head studs, 70mm T.B,

Senior SCH Member
    Originally posted by MoDo
    the cobra's came with the "z-rated" t-5... they are almost on the same page as a tremec 3550. you will be suprised on how long it lasts

Thanks for the good info MoDo! I was always baffled at the WC/NON WC debate crap. Especially when it comes to the 93 cobra's, some people I have talked to even said a tremec was originally on a 93 Cobra LOL!!! :D LOL!!! How funny!

The Z-Rated is the heavy duty t-5 and I agree it should hold up well.
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by 2Tone91GT
    The TKO has beefier gears and is a little stronger than the 3550.
    Both 5 speed. In Mustangs Unlimited there is only $100 difference between the two. ($1395-$1495) They do come with new bell housings too.
    actually, the only difference between the TKO and 3550 is in the input and output shafts, the gears themselves are the same.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Forcedpower
    This is wrong. The only diff between the tko and reg tremec are the input and out put shafts tko has beefier ones. The gears are the exact same. If you step up to the tko plus its 3rd and 4th gears are diff and a little stronger. Also your stock style clutch will not work with the tko, it takes a GM style clutch 28 spline.
    Ok, I should have read farther down before I said the same thing you just did, but how could 4th gear be different? 4th isn't a gear. it is just linking the input to the output for a 1:1 ratio...

Junior SCH Member

Re: Is my t-5 gonna die?

Originally posted by blownaway
    I have a 93 model year t-5(world class I think?) Will it pop If I get it to hook up? Tire spin is saving it right now I think. What should I replace it with?
    If it is stock, it is a world class...not sure of the exact year this started, but it was before 86 I do believe. I believe the main difference is the caged needle bearings that were used between the 1-3 gears on the main shaft instead of bronze bushings.

Anyway, back to your question. Usually, 1st gear is not the weak gear in the t-5. So I think you will be ok if you hook up. 3rd gear is usually where they break, after that, the input shaft. I've done both. 3rd gear went the first time, the input went the second time. Personally, I think the reason why the break is from gear deflection. Which seems to make sense as the z-spec gets it's added strength from a caged pocket bearing between the input and output shafts. Basically, watch your shifting into 3rd (and you don't need a lot of HP to break them, my motor was putting out roughly 240-245 when I grenaded mine). My opinion, drive it till it breaks, and if you plan on making over 300 (or if you are already) do yourself a favor, and get a TKO. I've been very happy with my TKO. If the car is mostly stock, and will be staying that way, when it breaks, go with the z-spec.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by ray95
    I'm going with the Viper spec T56 when my stock tranny goes.
    I tend to agree. While I'm not planning on ditching the T5 any time soon, I am considering the options should it become problematical in the future.

My reasoning behind the T56 instead of the Tremec is that the Tremec is geared too short IMO. All the Tremec's I've ever seen have a 3.27 First. Couple that with a 4.10 rear axle and you get a 13.40 overall torque multiplication. The 4.10's are needed for MPH/RPM across the line in my application so there's not much room for change there. The WC T5's have a 2.95 First which is better, but the T56's I've seen have 2.66 First which is even closer to what I'd like to see, which is about a 10:1 overall in First and has less RPM drop between gears.

I probably should go to an automatic but so far I prefer driving the car as a standard shift.
    Parker

1990 LX w/S-trim
    1990 Cougar XR7 (3.8 SC)