Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Decided to get the 8" pulley
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decided to get the 8" pulley

Decided to get the 8" pulley

Ok I said forget about the cam swap for now. I need to see if the gasket is bad anyway on the timing chain cover before I do anything else. I have some X-Mas money laying around and decided to go with the 8" crank pulley to see what kind of boost I can see with it up here. I know I need a Cobra waterpump pulley. I am guessing I can get it from any 5.0 Cobra? Anyone have one for sale?? And my powersteering pump pulley, do I need a bigger one? I have the A/C delete kit, so my pump sits higher than stock. If I need a bigger pulley, where can I get one from? I did the search on here, but couldn't find anything. One last thing. Anybody selling their 8" crank pulley? If not, is ASP the place to get it, and what are they charging for them?

Thanks guys,
    Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

Senior SCH Member frank woodall's Avatar
    Well lets start with the facts: Your NOT going to find a Junked-out 93 Cobra anywhere, so you'll have to buy the waterpump pulley new from Ford. its about $25.oo
    Some say that your P/S and Crank should turn the same speed (1 to 1) But I've been running a stock P/S pulley and a 8" crank pulley for a while now with no problems yet.
    I bought my 8" ASP pulley directly from them (custom made to order)
    Aluminum is less-expensive that steel ($40.oo less)
    A 8" aluminum pulley anadized silver was $160.oo(also red,blue & black/same price)
    Do you have 1 belt or 2 ? This all applies for a single belt NOVI only.
    If you have a seperate drive belt, you'll have to ask someone else: but I think you can buy a Vortech pulley for those.(also with 2 belts you might not need a COBRA water pump pulley for clearance (i'm not sure though)
    "The replacement for displacement is measured in P.S.I."
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana
    90 LX Vert 5.0 (all stock 57,000mi)

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have the older single bet set-up. I have been checking Corral for Cobra parts to see if somebody has a pulley, but they have all been 94-95 Cobra's which is why I was checking to see if their's would work. Guess I'll have to call ASP on Monday to order a pulley.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Arrow

Chris H: You need a 93 Cobra water pump pulley as mentioned for the single belt version. They are not that expensive brand new from the dealer if memory serves correctly.

Maybe someone on the board has one they could give or sell to you. Post a WTB (wanting to buy) post in the general classifieds section to see if anyone might have one to give or sell.

You will love the 8" crank pulley! :D

-Chris
    Last edited by Goliath5.0; 12-27-2003 at 03:18 PM.
    Chris...

Current beast: 1994 Ford Mustang Cobra #379 - slated up for a windsor and some boost

Stangs and other SVT products I've owned...

2001 F150 SVT Lightning (Silver)
    JDM Stage 1 & 2 kit and 3k+ worth of audiosex
    [ sold... ]

91 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Novi 1000 - 8" Crank Powered & Nitrous Works Powered R.I.P. Friend, it was fun! [ sold... ]

93 Ford Mustang Cobra #4549 w/an s-trim and all the goodies(Metallic Teal) [ sold... ]

#001 8" Crank Pulley Club

Frank Woodall: I would "never" trailer my car.......to me , that would be like dating a "Penthouse Pet" and not having sex with her....... :D

"ALWAYS OUT NUMBERED, NEVER OUT GUNNED"

Mustang Videos! Watch'em, upload'em and we host them at:

Well I got the Cobra waterpump pulley bought. Couldn;t find it for less than $25. Then I get 2 things of bad news today: 1.) ASP is closed until Jan 5th. This completely sucks. 2.) It is for a fact my timing chain cover gasket that is bad. There is coolant seeping out from where that gasket USED to stick up between the block and the cover until I broke it on accident. This completely sucks too.
    Since I was going to be in there, I was going to do the cam, but I don;t have the money to swap out the cam and get the pulley. I already have the cam, but with 80,000 miles on the rebuilt engine, I would want new valve springs and a new double roller timing chain, and some rocker arms. Don't have the money for it. I have about $200-300 to do this. If you guys know of a way to do the pulley and the cam with the money I have, please let me know. If not, I will stick with the pulley because I feel I will get quiet a bit more power from that than just the cam.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Don't think you can do both with your budget and do it right.

I'd run with just the pulley for now, as you stated you will get alot more outta that then swapping the cam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Well if all goes well, I will be able to let everybody know how much boost you can make at 4,100' with an 8" pulley and a 2.75" blower pulley. Just to make sure, I won't be spinning this thing too fast right?

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

That'll be too much, Paxton recommends a max speed of 55k RPM's.

Here's a link where I broke down crank pulley sizes with the use of a 2.75" blower pulley. My post is a few down from the original post.

http://www.superchargerhelp.com/show...&highlight=rpm
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

Hmmmm interesting. I read the break down you supplied, and changed a few things. As of right now, I don't go beyond 6000 rpm at the track. I just don't feel the power up top to do it. So with that said, I could go with the 7.5" crank, 3" blower and spin it up to 6000 rpm and have an impellar speed of 548700 or I could do the 8" with the 3" @ 6000 rpm and have an impellar speed of 56640. Either way the blower is 2yrs old and the warranty is gone, but it doesn't mean I want to rebuild it. So what pulley combination are people running to see 12-15psi out of these old 1000's? You think the extra 1000 rpm would make a difference on the impellars? I like the 2.75" blower pulley because it allows me to have boost at a lower rpm which definately helps with the altitude. As always, I am open to suggestions. Thanks for the help so far 5150!

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Goliath (8" pulley member #1, lol) reported a solid 15#'s with just the 8" crank pulley and stock 3" blower pulley, can't recall if he had a powerpipe or not. Either way the boost will come on at a lower RPM, I noticed a nice change with just the addition of the F-150 pulley, boost came on alot sooner. FWIW, the track I raced on in the past is infamaous for crappy air, density was usually 3500-4000+. So there is hope :D

Ok, well it looks like I will order the 8" pulley then on Monday next week when ASP opens back up. I will throw my 3" pulley back on the blower, which means I have a 2.75" for sale if somebody wants to make an offer on it. Knowing me I should probably keep it because as soon as I get rid of it, I'll need it. But if somebody wants it, shoot me an email with an offer. Keep in mind, it'll be a week or 2 before I ship it out. I am leaving in the morning for Chicago for a week.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

I'll take dibs on the blower pulley if the price is right :D

E-mail me at searly@camalott.com and let me know what ya want for it shipped to 79602

Senior SCH Member lx-convertible's Avatar

Talking

figure i can chime in here, it's been a long time since i posted. i have 8 inches (wow, what a statement) and the guys on this board will vouch for me :p
    with the stock blower pulley and a powerpipe i saw a solid 15lbs of boost on the dyno. too bad the damn clutch on my car went out , i never got to reap the benefits of 488rwhp and 461 rwtq. so how you guys all been? i have been supa busy with everything. never post anymore.
    Neil
    Engine: DSS Pro Bullet 306, Windsor Jr. heads, E303, 42lb inj., Cobra intake(fully ported lower)65mm TB, 80mm Mass Air, MSD 6BTM, MSD coil

Power Adder: Novi 1K, Anderson PowerPipe, ASP 8 IN Crank. No PS, AC, SMOG.

HP: 488.3
    TQ: 461.7 Tuned by FordChip.com

11.77 @ 119.9
    Best 60ft-1.56
    New project 1991 coupe
    NEW TOY 1995 H/D Sportster

Welcome back Neil!!! I'm finally getting around to actually assembling my 331.

Sweet deal Neil! Thanks for the input. I am dying to get this pulley, it just sucks having to wait another week to order it. Ordered the Cobra waterpump pulley last night, so that should show up this week while I am out of town. Then I can get that stupid timing chain cover gasket fixed while I am waiting for the big 8" to show up. By that time, it will be close to the end of Jan and it should be in the 60's here again ;) Perfect weather to take the car out and beat on it with! BTW the 2.75 pulley is gone already for those who may have been interested. Sorry.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!