Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipstick blowby

Dipstick blowby

Ok I must be a complete moron when it comes to doing searches on here :D , but I know I saw a post not too long ago about blow-by coming out of the dipstick. I have watched a few videos of my car running down the track, and about the 1/8 mile I can see smoke coming out the rest of the way through the track. I have a feeling its coming from the dipstick because there is no oil showing anywhere else on the car. How can this be fixed? I am wanting to go to the 8" pulley, but I know that will only cause more problems if I don't fix this first. Will the breather cap for the oil fill neck be enough to fix this? If so, where can I pick one up at? Any help is appreciated!

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

First off, is the dipstick being pushed out? That's the only way oil will come out of the dipstick tube. So if that's where the oil is passing, you will know it. Do you have to push the dipstick back in after every run?
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Of course we are talking about real boost from a Novi2K :D

Well the last time I was at the track is when I noticed this. It was over 100* outside by noon, and when I saw the smoke on the camera, I just packed it up for the day. I haven't been back to the track since. I just don;t know where else the smoke could be coming from? I watch the video, and it looks as if its coming from the front of the car, off the drivers side when its starts the smoking. Any other ideas as to what the smoke could be coming from? I thought it was a rearmain at first, but when I changed the clutch, it was dry.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Look over the motor. You should see oil(or what's left after it burned) somewhere. I would guess you'd see it on the header if it was coming from the dipstick tube. Check the around the PCV valve, maybe it popped out or let oil passed it.
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Yeah I have tomorrow off, and need to mess with the car anyway. I have changed the plugs since that trip to the track and didn't see any oil on the headers or anywhere else on the engine, but then again, I wasn't really looking for it either. I'll look around tomorrow and let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the advice so far.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

when i had this problem i had a little on the hood, plug wires, ect ect... a little goes along way! the breather will help. how do you have your pcv ran?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

I took a look at it today, and the dipstick was in all the way. I have the pcv valve in right, with a little bit of silicon holding it in, and a hose running to the upper intake from there. Thats the thing though, I don't see any wet oil anywhere, even after I got home from the races. It just looks like its coming from the drivers side in the video. Any ideas what it could be? I know its not the rearmain like I said earlier....

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

The only other place I can think of is around the driver side valve cover. If you looked there, then, Im out of ideas.
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Just got to thinking..... any chances of it being blowby in the cylinder? I know when I changed my plugs, my #7 plug (I think) had some oil on it. Has for about 30,000 miles or so. Since I have dumps, its looks like it is coming out from the drivers side of the car. Any chances of that being the problem? How much oil would it take to get it to smoke if this is the cause of it? I would guess that under boost it causes more blowby. Just a thought...

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

It is possible that the dumps make it look like the oil is coming out. If you've got a wet plug, that's probably it.
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

i had a wet plug as well and that could be it. If you think about, the crankcase is being pressureized under boost. Maybe the smoke is coming from the forced blowby from the crankcase? Unmetered air and what I described is why i ran no pcv last year. with no pcv blowby will follow soon for sure. Ask me how i know! LOL Granted i dorve the crap outta my car last year, made over 75 passes with an equal or more amount of street abuse. could it be fuel? do you know where your A/f is?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Well I have 30# injectors and fuel pressure is set at 45psi. I have an A/F meter and it shows stoich under full acceleration through the rpm band, so I am thinking the tune on that is pretty close. Never had a dyno tune with the blower, so this is just going by the gauge.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Chris, I can't recall but are you running the FMU that came in the s/c kit?

If so then I can almost assure you that your tune will be way rich when into boost. If you are getting blow-by there are a few things you can try. You can try running the pcv valve from a turbo coupe (part# Motorcraft E5ZZ-6A666) or a pcv valve from a Turbo Supra (not sure of the part#), instal a one-way check valve between the pcv valve & intake ( http://www.bowlinggreencustoms.com ) and put one of the K & N type breathers in place of the oil fill cap. Now with the breather, you may get driveability issues or you may not, it does create an "open loop" system where unmetered air comes into play. Then again, if it cures the possible blow-by and driveability is not affected, then the unmetered air would be the lesser of two evils in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

I ditched the FMU about 8 months ago when I bought my 30# injectors. Since I am not making as much power, or getting as much air up here, I figured these would be sufficient. Where is the best place to pick up a breather for cheap? I will look into getting the check valve when I get back from Chicago in a week. Do you just cut the hose between the pcv and the intake and connect it in?

Chris

btw: trying to get that pulley off for you this morning. No air tools, 20 degrees outside, and it sucks!
    Elevation kills boost!

Correct on the check valve, you should be able to find the breather at nearly any autoparts store.

Not sure if you will get the pulley off w/o an impact wrench though. If need be I can wait til you get back, my car is not going anywhere, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th