Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dipstick blowby

Junior SCH Member
    I had your same problem. Mine was caused by a blown lower intake gasket. The one in the back.I had a cork gasket back there as well as the front but I replaced them with rubber ones.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Hi Chris, a couple things:

If you go with the VC breather, go for the genuine Ford Racing part, it will fit better and stay tighter than the cheaper parts out there.

If your O2 is reading stoich at WOT your tune is way lean -- you may have a loose intake pipe or big vacuum leak that is allowing unmetered air into the chambers, or you may simply be running out of injector. It should be reading full rich at WOT because the eec is commanding 11.8:1 at WOT. In any case I wouldn't trust my motor to the narrow-band O2 sensor setup, you really need to get it hooked up to a wideband O2 meter somehow.

If you can't find an air leak by the usual method (I use an unlit propane torch, tracing all the lines and gaskets), try the VC breather, as it is probably piston ring blowby being caused by pressure in the crankcase. Also, if you have an Edelbrock Performer intake or similar, you need to look at your PVC routing to make sure the oil isn't going into the intake that way. Edelbrock fr instance recommends bypassing the plenum PVC port and running it straight to the plenum crossover.
    Chris

i was getting oil out of the pcv and cut me another breather into the rear of the passenger side and everything is running good, at least it seems that way but ill see this spring when i get mine to a dyno, i called larocca's and they told me to do this fwiw.
    2003 Cobra
    Mods to come:
    -Magnaflow catback
    -Magnaflow X pipe
    -KnN 12" cone
    -Gords Heat exchanger
    -2.80 pulley w/tune

lates win - srt4 modded
    no losses

sounds about right! does it run any different?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

me??
    2003 Cobra
    Mods to come:
    -Magnaflow catback
    -Magnaflow X pipe
    -KnN 12" cone
    -Gords Heat exchanger
    -2.80 pulley w/tune

lates win - srt4 modded
    no losses

yeah does it idle any different?
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    If you are showing stoich under boost you are lean, remember stoich is 14.7:1 which is way lean i had one of those air fuel gages in my car and when i had a wide band hooked up at the chassis dyno i had a 12.6:1 ratio and on the meter in the car it was halfway in the rich part.