Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

question for 88cobra?

Thread: question for 88cobra?

question for 88cobra?

First off Ian, I am very excited about the site, and look forward to being able to contribute. Now for my question. (2 of them actually) I noticed in a post of yours to ukfiveoh, that there was a picture of a car with a holley intake. That car didn't seem to have ac or powersteering. By chance would you know how the accessorie belt was routed? I have a similar setup and am in the middle of my novi2k install and don;t know how i'm going to route the belt since i just have a water pump, alternator, and crank. I'm hoping you'll be that guy that has the answer to this tricky question. My next one is i have the oppourtunity to buy a pms for $550, that has never been installed. my car is bonestock 130k mile long block. 24# inj. with an fmu and 250lph intank pump. Should I buy the pms now or do you think that I should spend the money elsewhere at this time in my buildup? Thanks alot in advance.

brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the words about the site...

The picture I posted was of a NOVI 1k car. I do not have access to a NOVI 2K car, sorry :(

As for the PMS, do you have a laptop, or would you have to buy one?

How many pounds of boost do you want to run? What sort of HP range are you looking for?

Ian

Ian, I would have to buy a laptop, it would probably be something very minimal. and right now I'm going to leave the stock pully on the blower and try to keep the boost around 8 to 10 psi. Thanks,

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Oh, and as far as hp, I don't know. Right now I'm going to take it easy on my 130k long block, but in the future, I would like some easy low 11's, with minimal boost, and then some 10's with alot of boost. The motor will probably be a 306 with stock rods and crank and good pistons with trickflows and a hyd. roller cam. This will be a 95% street car and 5% track car. Its not a daily driver either.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Brandon,

OK a few more questions :)

Did you plan on using the FMU in the NOVI kit? Do you plan to upgrade the injectors?

Ian

Well, I bought an fmu because it didn't come with the kit. Which at this point in time I plan to use. I am just using the 24's right now, because they where already on the car along with the junk 73mm c&l. I did however plan to buy some 50's later down the road along with a pro-m of some sort. I really wouldn't spend anymore money on the car until after christmas, but this unused pms showed up, and i thought that i might be able to save the money down the road.??? So I hope that cleared things up a little. Also, paxton has been slower then crap getting my blower here, almost 3 weeks now. Do you have any more questions about my combo?

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Brandon,

Ok that is what I wanted to know. If you are going to use some big injectors, the PMS is worth the money now. As you said it is unused, cheap and will REALLY help tune the car when you get the 50's installed. If I were in your position I would grab that PMS now.

Who did you order your blower from? Paxton direct?

For all those reading that are not sure what a PMS is, it is created by Anderson Ford Motorsport.

It is a aftermarket computer that allows you to tweak every part of the car. The retail on this unit is just under $1000.

If you do not buy it, let me know :)

Ian

Well, I told the guy that I would pick it up this saturday, and I only have one more brain to pic on the topic, so I'm pretty sure I'll pick it up, but i will notify you if I don't buy it. I bought the blower from d&d motorsports in california, (really great people, super nice), but it is the novi 2k real street kit, so the didn't have it in stock, and it's taking paxton some time to get it to me. Buy the way guys, I can't say enough nice stuff about the crew at d&d. I try to buy everything from them i can.

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

Originally posted by 88cobra

For all those reading that are not sure what a PMS is, it is created by Anderson Ford Motorsport.

It is a aftermarket computer that allows you to tweak every part of the car. The retail on this unit is just under $1000.

If you do not buy it, let me know :)

Ian
    Hey Ian, not to step on any toes here, but the PMS is made by a company called EFI Systems and is sold through Anderson. It's basically the 3rd generation of the now defunct Crane Interceptor with the biggest difference being the control/readout pad adn a little bit faster processor. They retail for $750 according to Anderson's site so I would agree with you that he should snag it for that price. These are excellent powerful tools for tuning our cars as and can provide very substantial power gains and drivability improvements. You can choose (after you've programmed it) up to 3 different program modes on the fly. This way you could have a "safe tune" for a day when it's very hot out or if you unluckily got a bad tank of gas, a daily driver street tune for your average temp type day, or an all out drag tune for those days at the track ( these are just examples to give an idea) Can't do that with a chip that I know of. All in all a worthwhile investment as it's pretty realistically priced considering what it can do ( you pretty much name it and the PMS or Interceptor can probably do it) Too bad Crane dropped it from their line, apparantly not enough people thought they were worth it so enough weren't being sold. Keep an eye out on eBay as Interceptors come up once in a while. I landed mine for $280 US. Below is a pic of the control pad. The box looks pretty much the same except for the colour (gold) If anybody wants, I'll try to put together a list of it's capabilities and post it in it's own thread with some pics of the unit and part numbers for guys that might want to look for one. There were two versions of the Interceptor made: Speed Density and Mass Air. Visually they are identical except for one digit in the part number.

No toes broken :)

Sorry it is $789 without the injector driver.

Here is the link:
    http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...ms_frames.html

Any info you can provide on the Interceptor would be great.

Ian

I'll do my homework and try to get something done for the weekend. I want to make sure I can get evreything covered in terms of the details.
    :)