Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
By-pass Valve

Thread: By-pass Valve

Senior SCH Member frank woodall's Avatar

By-pass Valve

Could someone please go into detail about excactly what a by-pass valve is and how it works and what it does for driveability ? I know from reading this site that i need one ,and i'm going to get one ,but someone please tell me why ? THANKS ALOT , Frank

Senior SCH Member
    it is a valve that is actuated from the vaccum from the motor. during deceleration the supercharger is still producing boost, so what the bypass does is open up under deceleration and allow the air to circulate around the discharge side and the inlet side of the supercharger. this keeps the supercharger from getting deadheaded by the boost its creating when the throttle blade is closed. a must if you are producing above 5-6 psi.

Originally posted by slider_buck
    it is a valve that is actuated from the vaccum from the motor. during deceleration the supercharger is still producing boost, so what the bypass does is open up under deceleration and allow the air to circulate around the discharge side and the inlet side of the supercharger. this keeps the supercharger from getting deadheaded by the boost its creating when the throttle blade is closed. a must if you are producing above 5-6 psi.
    To add to what slider has said as far as drivablity is concerned anytime the blower output exceeds the amount of air that can flow in to the T/B with the blade at less than half or so, the compressor air will stall which also affects the air coming into the supercharger which also affects the air in the MAF which intern pisses of the computer which makes the car buck and surge. I really don't know what I'm talking about but I play like I do.;)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).