Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help ASAP

I just changed my balancer WITHOUT using a puller. What I did was use a BFH and hit the balancer on the back side of it (i was on the pass side of the car) to slowly walk it off.

Too poor to even have a torch. This is amazing. I have been working on this puller for a couple of hours now and the only thing I have gotten out of it besides sore arms is a bent bolt from trying to make some leverage so that the balancer doesn't turn. I guess I need to go beg for a compressor from somebody to try and get this bolt off. Either way this car has to be running Monday morning....

I don't see where I have room to get a hammer in there. The balancer has been on there for about 4 yrs, and 80,000 miles. I think a stick of dynomite might take car of this problem a little easier, but my luck the stupid thing would still be attached.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris_H; 01-10-2004 at 08:43 PM.
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

The compressor really does make it MUCH easier - takes 10-20 seconds with the gun.

Ian

Well I am stuck now. I decided to try and take the puller off and start all over. Now the puller bolt won't come out, and it won't tighten. All it does now is spin the crank, attempting to move the car. I have it in gear and the E-brake is set. I can't get ahold of the only guy I know that has a compressor, so the car is just sitting outside in pieces. I will get to it later I guess. Just not in the mood now to fight with it. If I just knew somebody with some dynamite...

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Don't take it too bad Chris, I was getting ready to bolt on the heads to check p/v clearance and the 1/2" head studs for my Dart block won't clear the holes in my TFS heads. Another trip to the machine shop to have a few holes enlarged. Stuff happens :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Did ya ever get it yesterday Chris???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

No it wasn;t a good weekend for me. I got the front of the car torn down in less than an hour Saturday, and spent until last night at about 6 working on trying to get the balancer off. I said forget it and I will try some other day. To top it off my Rams played like a bunch of elementary school kids in the play-offs (no offense to anybody who has kids in elementary school playing football, as I am sure they play better than the Rams did) and so that just topped off the weekend. I am trying to borrow a compressor from one friend, and an impact gun from another for this weekend. I will let you guys know how it goes. Maybe I will try to get to it sooner. Was 70* out here today, so we definately have the weather to do it.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Well this has to go down as one of the most BONEHEADED things I have done with this car. I got the dampener off tonight. Didn't even need the impact gun and compressor I borrowed from a friend. I started to back the bolt out from the puller kit with the impact gun. Backed it out too far, and rammed the gun into my a/c condensor. No biggie, I don't have a/c anymore anyway. Opps, I can't get to the forward/backward lever on the gun because its smashed into the condensor. So I finally get that fixed, nice big flat spot on the condensor now :D So I take the whole puller off the balancer, and go back and read the instructions What an idea. Well there is this cone shaped piece that came with the kit. I figured I would give it a shot. Put the puller back on with the cone, start to tighten it down with a ratchet, and sure enough the balancer starts to come off. What an idea. I could have done this 2 weeks ago if I would have thought about it. Ohh well, I got the balancer off tonight, and will try to get everything torn down tomorrow, and probably thrown back together on Saturday. Thanks for eveybody's help with trying to get this off.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!