Thread: SC vs. S Trim.

SC vs. S Trim.

Just curious as to what exactly the differences are? I seem to be running the same pulley as other guy's online with SC's (I have an S) and I seem to get more boost. Any idea why?

Razor.
    2001 Cobra #719
    MODS: Vortech S-Trim, Aftercooler, Mini Race Bypass Valve, AFM Power Pipe, 90m.m. LMAF, 42# Injectors, Superchips Chip, 03 Cobra Fuel Pump, Trunk Mount Battery, Auto Meter Gauges, Solid Axle Swap, 4:10 Gears, O/R H-Pipe, Mac Cat-Back, Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Mac Subframe Connectors, D/S Safety Loop, McLeod Clutch, Steeda Sport Springs, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Eaton Posi, Granatelli Upper & Lower Control Arms, AFS 2003 Chrome Cobra Wheels (17x9, 17x10.5), 315/35/17 Nitto DR's.
    Dyno: 496 RWHP. & 422 RWT. (SAE Corrected)
    MY WEBSITE: Click Here
    ww.ModularFords.com -4V Forum Moderator

Senior SCH Member
    don't compare your S with any other unit, except an SQ .

boost is a funny thing. i am no pro on boost, but this is as i understand it, and i makes sense.

boost = the amount of restriction inside the engine.

example: an all stock engine with a S-Trim = 10 psi = 300hp
    add a better intake, heads, and headers = 6 psi = 400hp
    why more hp with lower boost ? more cfm = the engine is moving more air.

Junior SCH Member
    The SC uses a different impeller than the S trims. On an identical set-up motor, you will see at least 2# more with the S trim vs the SC trim at identical rpm and pulley sizes.

Jerome
    96 Cobra
    Rebuilt Motor
    Vortech S Trim with 3.12" pulley
    Full Saleen Body Kit
    Few other things...
    SAE Corrected 510rwhp 446rwt
    11.926 ET @119.88 mph 1.978 60FT

Originally posted by JeromeVobra
    The SC uses a different impeller than the S trims. On an identical set-up motor, you will see at least 2# more with the S trim vs the SC trim at identical rpm and pulley sizes.

Jerome
    Jerome that was the exact answer I was looking for, Thanks bro.:D I see that you are running an S-Trim with a 3.12 pulley. I am running the same exact setup myself. Are you running an aftercooler at all? Also I was wondering what kind of boost you are making? Lastly, Is your rebuilt motor fairly stock other than an upgraded bottom end? (Port work, Cams) Sorry for the questions, I am just curious to compare notes abit.;)

Razor.
    2001 Cobra #719
    MODS: Vortech S-Trim, Aftercooler, Mini Race Bypass Valve, AFM Power Pipe, 90m.m. LMAF, 42# Injectors, Superchips Chip, 03 Cobra Fuel Pump, Trunk Mount Battery, Auto Meter Gauges, Solid Axle Swap, 4:10 Gears, O/R H-Pipe, Mac Cat-Back, Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Mac Subframe Connectors, D/S Safety Loop, McLeod Clutch, Steeda Sport Springs, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Eaton Posi, Granatelli Upper & Lower Control Arms, AFS 2003 Chrome Cobra Wheels (17x9, 17x10.5), 315/35/17 Nitto DR's.

Senior SCH Member
    thats funny. in my post of the same subject it was said they are the same, except the inside gearing is a little different.

so, how same/different ARE they ? the $1.98 question

Originally posted by V2-SQ Jess
    thats funny. in my post of the same subject it was said they are the same, except the inside gearing is a little different.

so, how same/different ARE they ? the $1.98 question
    I'm not an expert by far but I do think that the SQ and SC are different.:D

Razor.
    2001 Cobra #719

Junior SCH Member
    I am not running an innercooler or aftercooler. I have the stock crank pulley and the 3.12" blower pulley. I see 16# at 7K rpms.

My motor rebuild is a built bottom end, shm girdle, billet trigger wheel, billet oil pump gears, p & p heads, replaced entire valve train, arp heads studs, cam bolts. I am running stock cams, stock intake and stocj throttle body.

The SQ trim uses an impeller that is cut differently (helical or straight) I can not remember which one. I am not sure if this difference in cut quiets the blower only or effects the boost numbers also. I am sure about the difference between the SC and the S trim.

Jerome

I am not running an innercooler or aftercooler. I have the stock crank pulley and the 3.12" blower pulley. I see 16# at 7K rpms.

My motor rebuild is a built bottom end, shm girdle, billet trigger wheel, billet oil pump gears, p & p heads, replaced entire valve train, arp heads studs, cam bolts. I am running stock cams, stock intake and stocj throttle body.

The SQ trim uses an impeller that is cut differently (helical or straight) I can not remember which one. I am not sure if this difference in cut quiets the blower only or effects the boost numbers also. I am sure about the difference between the SC and the S trim.

Jerome
    Thanks again for the info Jerome.:D I am running a completely stock motor with an aftercooler and a AFM power pipe. I would think that your P&P heads make you see a little less boost, But 16# is quite healthy. I am very curious to see what my boost #'s are. I'm a little scared that my 3.12 pulley may push way too much boost for my stock motor.

My car is in the shop as we speak. I have had a ton of problems getting my car tuned correctly with the Autologic chip I was using. I was doing it by mail and it just wasn't working out. The cobra is with a local tuner now and I am resorting back to a Diablo because that is what they tune. I hope to have some results and my car back tomarrow.

Thanks again bro.;)
    Razor.
    2001 Cobra #719

Junior SCH Member

Jerome
    Actually, it's not the impeller that is different between the S trim and SQ trim. It is the gears. It is the straight cut gears that make the standard S trim so noisy. (I believe it is the same reason reverse is noisy in manual transmissions, the reverse gears are straight cut gears) In the SQ trim, the teeth are cut on an angle which makes the blower much quieter. (again with the trans as an example, the forward gears are cut on an angle)

Now for the SC trim, I may not have all the facts straight here, but the SC trim is based on the S trim impellar. Just some of the fins are cut back, I believe. I am not sure if the inlet is smaller on the SC like it was on the A trim? While I believe the SC and A trim both put out the same boost numbers, the newer SC does so more effiently.

Junior SCH Member
    Your welcome Razor. Good luck with ypur car.

Interlortd, thanks for the info.

Jerome

Jerome,

Got my car back today.:D I had to replace the 3.12 pulley with a 3.6 because it was making way too much power. I also have a Superchip instead of my Autologic. I made 496hp and 422tq. with the setup in my sig.

Razor.
    2001 Cobra #719

Junior SCH Member
    Interlord...... I myself am not an expert thats for sure....but I just got the SC trim for my car....I did alot of research b4 I went with that blower........I believe you hit the nail on the head .....the SC is almost just like the S ........the main difference is that the impellers have been trimmed so that you have to spin it faster to make more boost......The blower was originally designed to go on the cobra mustangs(hense higher RPMs to create that boost) Vortech offers this as their replacement for the old A trim now.....My kit creates 6# of boost on a stock motor........the inlets and outlets are the same as the S trim. The kit is basically alot more upgradable then the old A trim.......Vortech claims that if you buy all the goodies to go with the blower(SC trim) it will always be about 30-40 hp behind the S trim........Well, all that said.....thats what I have heard .........

Later,
    Chris
    1989 Notchback SC Trim

Junior SCH Member

SC-Trim Chargers...

You all were pretty much on track, but baker and interlord hit the nail right on the head. Between the two of you guys, I couldn't have said it better myself, and I work for the company!
    RACER X

Sales Rep. for Vortech Superchargers

Daily driver: '02 SVT Focus
    Weekend cruiser: 347c.i. powered 1993 Mustang GT (As seen in 2002 issue of MM&FF's Sexy Stangs)

My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes...