Thread: A-trim on '93 Cobra long block

Junior SCH Member

A-trim on '93 Cobra long block

Hey guys,

First post here....Good looking forum....

Bought an '86 GT a few months back, it has a stock '93 Cobra motor, and a few bolt-ons. I was thinking AFR heads, FTI cam/intake. Now I'm thinking an A-trim might get me where I want to be, for a bit less $. I'm seeing guys are picking up A-trims for $1600. That seems like a killer deal. Does that come with EVERYTHING I need? I have 24 lbs injectors and a 190 pump right now. Will I need to upgrade that? How about an ignition? What else will I need? I figure getting to 315 rear wheel horsepower will cost me over $3000 if I stay all-motor by the time I figure in all the little things needed. It would think an 'A' trim with my GT40 heads and stock Cobra intake would get me to the ~315 rwhp range and do it for about $1000 less. Am I on track here?

This car is not my daily driver, it only comes out on nice days. I want to keep it very driveable and very clean. An 'A' trim would be badass I think.

I'd like to be able to run 110 MPH at full weight. Anything faster then that I know I'll be breaking parts. Would an 'A' trim on top of my combo now get me there? My best MPH to date was 103 MPH and I still have stock 3.08 gears....

Below is a link to my 'Stang and the LS1....
    http://www.bbbracing.com/kennyh/kenny.html
    '98 LS1 Formula
    11.83 @ 115 MPH (cam & bolt-ons)
    '86 Mustang GT
    13.82 @ 102 MPH ('93 Cobra motor)
    '02 Hyundai Elantra
    16.40 @ 84 MPH (daily driver and YES I really raced it)

Junior SCH Member
    I picked up a used A trim for about $1400 off ebay. It has worked very well for me. I already had the heads, intake, cam, etc on my car. Ran 13.0 NA, haven't run it with the blower. Anyway, I also installed the inline fuel pump, and a FMU. I've got 24 lb/hr injectors also. It can be done, and a lot of board members will recommend larger injectors and a custom tune. While I would like to go that route, time and money just don't allow that right now in my life.

On another, possibly related note. The 86 had a speed density system. If the car hasn't been converted over to maf when the 93 motor was installed, now is the time before the supercharger install. My first 5.0 was an 86 gt that I purchased in 89 with about 20,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, Ford didn't make those cars tree proof, I still miss that car sometimes.

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.