Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What is a good blower cam???

Thread: What is a good blower cam???

Junior SCH Member

What is a good blower cam???

My setup is a DSS 306 twistedwedge heads mild porting, edelbrock rpm intake, S-trim 15lbs, long tube headers. What would be a good cam. I have a ford motorsport X-cam now.

Thanks
    Scott

A good blower cam is one that favors the exhaust more. The TFS stage 2 is a very popular choice.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty
    My setup is a DSS 306 twistedwedge heads mild porting, edelbrock rpm intake, S-trim 15lbs, long tube headers. What would be a good cam. I have a ford motorsport X-cam now.

Thanks
    Scott
    Given how much you have invested so far I would say now is the time to go custom grind and for that, look no further than Ed Curtis at FTI That's who I'll be calling when I no longer have to worry about my emissions test which was my primary reason for going with an E-Cam.

Senior SCH Member
    might check out some AFM cams.

,----- runs a AFM cam
    89 GT - old combo -AOD, S-trimed, 302, stock short block - 6.67@106 with a 1.60 60ft, 4.10 gears. dyno 474rwhp, best in 1/4 3.55 gears 10.83@128 1.67
    Damn them stock cranks :(
    new comb in the works Dart 331 turbo :D

98 GT - its a turd, but I like it ;)
    00 F-250 CC PSD 2WD- chip, converter

Another vote for the TFS stage 2 cam here...it is a very good blower cam and is identical to the old Anderson B-4 cam.
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHawk05
    Given how much you have invested so far I would say now is the time to go custom grind and for that, look no further than Ed Curtis at FTI That's who I'll be calling when I no longer have to worry about my emissions test which was my primary reason for going with an E-Cam.
    I agree. Call Ed, he'll help you out. He's a busy man so don't get discouraged if you don't get him right away. He has ALWAYS returned my phone calls and e-mails.

A good blower cam would be a custom one. I haven't had much success with the aftermarket ones so I went custom for my setup and it's really the way to go!
    You Must Be Fast, Cause You Were Flyin When I Passed You!

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRunnr
    Another vote for the TFS stage 2 cam here...it is a very good blower cam and is identical to the old Anderson B-4 cam.
    I currently have a TFS stage 2 coming for my 306 I am rebuilding. The valve lift @ .050 on this is approx. .546 int / .565 ex. Anyone have issues with clearance with this? I was told that the duration and lobe centerline are excellent for blower application, but the lift may be a bit much for a 306. I plan on running Probe SRS -15cc dished pistons with my Edlebrock Performer RPM heads (2.02's)...

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    Depends on the EEC tune you will go with, your targeted redline, your gearing, street vs strip, etc. If running stock eec programming and doing 90% street driving on 373 gears, I'd go with something like the Lunati 51014 which is 218/226 @ .050, 284/292 advertised, .500/.510 lift w/ 1.6:1 RRs (or with 1.7 RRs .530/.542 lift) and 112 LSA.

This cam will pull very well from 2500 rpm right up over 6k, should make the magic 500hp/500tq with your combo and not wear out parts by needing to spin the snot out of it.

Anything much bigger, more aggressive than this and you will need the high $ lightweight hi-rev valvetrain hardware to keep it from floating out above 5800 rpm. In a 306, a bigger cam such as the TFS stg-2 will in theory pull to 6500+ but you need the good hardware to keep it alive up there in the stratosphere, not to mention the required eec rev limit mods.

If you have the valvetrain hardware and eec rev limit ready to go then I'd look at the bigger 230/240-ish cams mentioned above. But I have a feeling Ed Curtis will steer you more toward something similar to the Lunati above, maybe with a little more intake duration, but he is used to customers being more oriented to all-out drag strip performance numbers, whereas on the street you'll enjoy the better midrange torque.

FWIW I run a 216/216 x .513/.513 Ultradyne HR282, and it feels like plenty of cam for my fairly mild setup (stock '90 5.0 shortblock w/ ported Performer intake, ported GT40 heads w/ Crane beehive springs), but I shift by 5800 to 6k depending on the gear, to help keep it alive for the long haul.
    Last edited by fanglemeister; 01-30-2004 at 03:34 PM.
    Chris

SCH Member
    i run a simple F-cam with my combo. Very mild setup.. DSS 306, Performer heads (1.94/1.60), Performer RPM intake, 70mm tb, 75mm maf, 36# injectors, shortys, o/r x.. with a Paxton SN93(VR4upgrade) @ 10#'s, and the car feels real strong.

off-topic, anyone know what lift an F-cam would have with a set of 1.72's on it? Thanks :)

Senior SCH Member
    Get a custom cam now. Call Ed Curtis.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychdaddy
    I currently have a TFS stage 2 coming for my 306 I am rebuilding. The valve lift @ .050 on this is approx. .546 int / .565 ex. Anyone have issues with clearance with this? I was told that the duration and lobe centerline are excellent for blower application, but the lift may be a bit much for a 306. I plan on running Probe SRS -15cc dished pistons with my Edlebrock Performer RPM heads (2.02's)...
    I ran this cam on my 306 with stock replacement .30 TRW's and now in my 347 stroker and didn't have any clearance issues..
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

eric, I think i'm gonna try the tfs#2 cam in my 351 right off the bat because I don't have a very good high stalling converter. How high does your 347 wanna rev with cam? past the stock limiter? What converter do you run and how much stall do you see?

thanks
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D