Thread: Kenne bell 2200

Senior SCH Member

Kenne bell 2200

I'm looking for some input on this supercharger. I have a 89 Mustang 306 ci with Trick Flow heads, E cam, 9.2:1 compression etc...

I would really like to make an honest 425-450 RWHP, do you think the Blowzilla 2200 i capable of this? How much boost could I run?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    I'm looking for some input on this supercharger. I have a 89 Mustang 306 ci with Trick Flow heads, E cam, 9.2:1 compression etc...

I would really like to make an honest 425-450 RWHP, do you think the Blowzilla 2200 i capable of this? How much boost could I run?
    From KB web site the 2200 is capable of making 675HP in flowzilla trim

Junior SCH Member
    The supercharger is capable of supporting those kind of numbers. Now whether it'll make them on your combo I don't know. K/B's usually don't produce good peak numbers but rather a very flat curve that allows great power most of the time.
    87 Coupe - R-306 , YS-Trimmed, Edelbrock Heads, best ET 9.87@136

94 Lightning, K/B supercharged

Junior SCH Member
    Maybe you could, but more likely you wouldn't. Lack of intercooling makes it virtually impossible to run the high boost numbers needed to get those numbers. But also figure, with all the power under the curve the KB makes, you can probably keep up with a car making 50 more peak RWHP at the track.
    '95 Vert - KB 2200
    11.1/123

Junior SCH Member
    Like you my goal is 450 rwhp/rwtq. and like Don mentioned, an intercooler is not available for us, but, we do have water injection that while not as good as an intercooler, it is still a big help.

My car is still in the project and part acquisition stage so while having the blower, I haven't gone beyond a stock 5.0 yet and my car is still in my shop until I have purchased brakes that will safely bring me to a stop and selected the gears for the rearend.

On 92 octane without an intercooler and depending on state of timing and tune and weather, it looks like we can use 6-9 psi on a 9.5:1 compression engine. Adding water injection allows another 3 psi or 9-12 psi. Dropping to 8.0:1 compression will allow another 3 psi or 12-15psi.

It seems to me, and this is only my opinion because to date I haven't done it or seen it done. Anyway to make 450 rwhp to me it looks like we will need to go with better flowing heads. The better flowing the head the lower the psi for the same volume of air. The lower the psi the lower the heat. The lower the heat the more boost you can add.

A ported GT-40 lower manifold will flow around 300cfm so it seems that we should use a head that flows around 300 cfm like a AFR205 or AFR225. I've read dyno tests were switching from stock head to AFR185 dropped boost readings over 1 psi with the same pullies. I think it would be reasonable to expect a 2-3 psi or more drop in pressure with AFR225 heads.

In other words I believe a 9.5:1 engine on 92 octane with water injection and AFR225 heads should be able to run an indicated 12 psi while pullied for 16 psi. and the same setup with 8.0:1 compression could be pullied for 18 psi.

In reality the 8.0:1 setup will probably make more than 450 rwhp/rwtq. For me the reason I have held off on doing this setup is I don't know FOR SURE, how well it will run in non boost situations. My experiance is with old school N/A carburated engines and these heads on a 302ci carburated engine would not do well on the street below 2500 rpm but I believe a fuel injected engine with a Blowzilla/Flowzilla with 16-18 psi pullies would not have a problem with off idle bog especially if you use a 90mm throttle body.

I want to state again that this has only been my opinion but want to add that March of last year I asked Kenne Bell how to build a 450 rwhp/rwtq engine on 92 octane. They recommended 8.0:1 comp, AFR225 heads, Comp Cams XE274 cam, 36psi injectors. Their stand now is that they recommend AFR185 heads because Richard Holdener produced 508hp at the flywheel with them and the XE274 cam.

Take care.
    Ken

Senior SCH Member
    Well, I went with a turbo instead!