Thread: (New Guy) With some 1000 Q's

Junior SCH Member

Unhappy F'NG (New Guy) With some 1000 Q's

Hello everyone, man I did alot of web searching and when I found this site, I am glad I did!
    I have a 98 Cobra and did the install.
    First has anyone had problems with the parts they sent in the kit? If so how did Paxton handle it? I called them and the guy seemed helpful gave me his email and I sent pictures of how they machined the mounting bracket wrong. There should have been a countersunk hole to hide the bolt head and allow for clearance at the oil return line. I emailed and sent pictures but still have heard anything back.

Inline fuel pump? When I turn on ignition, I hear my regular pump come on, then stop, but the inline pump Paxton supplied still runs. Is this correct?
    The manual showed hooking up the trigger wire to the red wire on the connector. I assume this is always hot when ignition is on.

Thanks for the help in advance,
    JD

JD, first of all welcome.

I'll honestly admit that I have no modular experience whatsoever :D

But, here's thought.

1. With the bracket, if all is needed is a countersunk hole, my recommendation would be to chat with a machine shop of two and let them know what ya need. It's be a fairly simple task with the proper tools and I doubt that it'd cost much at all.

I'll have to toss the pump wiring around & see what I can dig up as far as wiring goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Junior SCH Member

No Sweat 5150

I already took care of the hole. A rotary file and die grinder in the hands of a psyhco, I mean skilled fabricator, is a wonderful thing. I was just wondering about the install problems others may have had. That AC line was a real *&#*#%!!

Still want to know about the fuel pump though.

Thanks for the feedback!
    LX

JD "When in doubt gas it!!!!"

Did you post on the Corral? If not someone else had the same issue with the pump running constantly and the consensus was that the pump was wired incorrectly.

Are you running a relay with the pump?
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

I to vote for the pump being wired wrong JD. Check how you hooked up the relay..

I too had a hole that need to be countersunk. I will do this next time the bracket is off the car. Until then, I just took some material off the bolt head.

Welcome!

Brandon
    90 strawberry coupe

JD, try this link and go to the "94-98 4.6 Mustang T-Rex" they have all the wiring diagrams and etc.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/support/

bmf, the pump is wired correctly. Mine operated the same as you described. There has got to be a better way to wire it up, but I never took the time to wire it differently than the way Paxton has you do it. I have a "bandaid" set up right now, but I am in the process of swapping over to the '03 Cobra tank and pumps. The sump bucket in the '98 tank just can't support much more than 450hp.

That sucks about the countersink not being on the bracket. I didn't have that problem. The only problem I had was making too much boost, 13-14 (I wasn't complaining, it just seemed I couldn't get enough fuel to it for that amount of boost). Called Paxton about it and they said "yea, you could see that kind of boost when it's cold outside." (it was in the 30's)
    ChromeYellow 98 Cobra Novi1000 - Street Machine

Junior SCH Member

DO WHAT? 13-14 of boost!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoviCobra
    The only problem I had was making too much boost, 13-14 (I wasn't complaining, it just seemed I couldn't get enough fuel to it for that amount of boost). Called Paxton about it and they said "yea, you could see that kind of boost when it's cold outside." (it was in the 30's)
    Looks like I'll be getting a boost gauge for sure! I do not want to run my stock motor under that kind of boost! How does outside temp effect boost though? Looks like I have alot to learn! Life use to be so simple....lol

Thanks for the info!

Cooler, denser air packs more of a punch. I guess you get more expansion when heating the colder air. I just remembered I left out one thing though, I like the high RPM. The 13-14psi is at 7500+ RPM.

Even just spinning to 7000, it's right around 10psi with the stock pulley. I don't know how they call it the 8lb pulley.
    ChromeYellow 98 Cobra Novi1000 - Street Machine