Thread: SQ and cold weather... HELP!!!

SCH Member

SQ and cold weather... HELP!!!

Just ordered a SQ Trim and started hearing about cold weather issues... I live in Massachusetts and am wondering if this will be a problem. I rarely drive the car in the winter, unless there is no snow and salt on the ground, but I do start it about once a month and run it up to temp.

Should I cancel the order?

I was told that the V1 S-Trims are no longer made?

What do I do?

From what I hear, the only cold weather issue is that it's not recommended that you run the blower when it is 25* or colder. It never gets that cold where I live(bay area, ca), so I never paid attention to this until it was brought up on the corral recently.
    -Ross

88 GT - Novi'd 302
    98 Cobra - N/A 281

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Of course we are talking about real boost from a Novi2K :D

SCH Member
    Okay, ttt, anyone else?

I'm pretty sure they still make the V-1 S-trim, just bought one last month.

I do remember reading some specific temps somewhere but cannot recall where. The Owners Manual only says not to rev the car beyond 2500 until all is warmed up (2-3 mins after normal coolant temp....) At this point the oil should be up to temp and there should be no problems.

I would not cancel the order if you rarely use your car in the winter...I know there are many blowers running around up here in the cold (Canada) you just have to let them warm up longer!!!
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

SCH Member
    Okay, as long as I know that the blower won't blower itself up when I start it, I have no problem waiting 10-15 minutes until takeoff. Is this what most people do with a V2 blower in the cold / super cold?

If you want to be sure you could try calling Vortech and inquire about cold weather operation.
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

SCH Member
    My dealer contacted Vortech for me today... Basically, Vortech has seen only 3 cold weather cases with SQ models getting damaged. Each case was attributed to the owners starting the car up and hammering on it when it is ice cold in below freezing temps. Not something that you should do anyway! I was told the SQ will work fine in below freezing temps, however, extra time needs to be given to let the SQ warm up before boosting. With this information in mind, my order was still placed for the V2 SQ S-Trim.

Junior SCH Member
    I had my V-2 sq for two weeks before the drive gear busted from the cold. And NO I did not hammer the throttle on a cold engine never even took it into boost for the first week. Vortech may not be admitting a cold problem but they were quick to say they won't cover the blower unless I switched to the V-1 trim. Vortech uis now sending me a V-1

SCH Member
    Hmmmmm, did it just seize or did the impeller come apart and send pieces into your engine?

Junior SCH Member
    I didn't take it apart but I'm guessing the drive shaft broke because the pully and fan spin real easily independant of each other. I then used both a magnet and three oil changes to flush out any debris from the enginr.
    Last edited by jamesshue; 02-05-2004 at 10:16 AM.

SCH Member
    Wow, I'm very surprised. How cold is it where you live? How long do you wait until you actually drive the car or raise it above idle?

I just opened the box to my brand new V2, but your post has me a little concerned.

Junior SCH Member
    I live in Chicago not the coldest place around but it was very cold last week. We had a high of 5 for a few days. One thoses days I always warmed the car up to operating temp then drove it. It didn't seem to take Vortech too long to say it was the cold although they will not admit that the V-2 shouldn't be used in sub zero temperatures. Thats what furstrated me I would have just bought a different trim!