Thread: 351w setups

Junior SCH Member

Question 351w setups

Hey guys im new with this, so bare with me.. Im currently attending wyotech. Im planning on building a motor for my bone stock 93 lx coupe.. I plan on throwing in a 351 to 408 combo.. also wanting to supercharge it.. going with a paxton novi 2000.. whats a good combo for street applications as well as track..

Welcome to the site. I'll let some of the other guys give the good combo advice. I don't know anything about going fast ;)
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Well a blown 408 certainly falls in the fast catergory. Of course you'll need serious modifications for everything else in the whole car for this to run right. If i was gonna build a blown 408 i'd get a quality kit from eagle or scat and go from there. Depending on how much power you really wanna make in the end you may wanna get a Dart or FRPP block. With a set of the larger AFR heads, spyder intake, big roller cam, and the novi 2000 this would run very well.

and doug is full of crap about not knowing how to go fast! :D
    Last edited by Doug; 01-31-2004 at 09:21 AM.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    haha.. ok yea im already planning on getting a dart block.. i want a low 10sec street car.. maybe seeing around 15psi... umm 650+rwhp or so.. if not more... just has to be "somewhat" streetable, gotta mess around with the f-bodies.. you guys should check out my Homes mustang site.. Back in cali.. www.thestallions.com.. my home car crew..Thanks Guys

well you don't need 15 psi on a 408 to run 10's maybe in a 4000 pound car but not a fox body. what are you gonna use for a driveline? 650rwhp is easily do-able with 10psi and the right tranny/ gear combo. I would run the afr 225's, a hydro roller cam of about 234* @ .050 and a good intake and you will easilly bust up 650@ the tires with 10 psi on a Novi 2000. This is assuming proper engine tune and by that i mean you'll need some big injectors and engine management to do the job right. 15psi and i'd look for easy 9's with traction and all things go.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    driveline would be a tremic tko.. but first off im building the engine and throwing the paxton on later.. I only have enough time in school to do one thing and my main objection is to build that 408 little monster then work one everything else.. I have another 2001 GT back in cali i want to work on.. want to try a different combo with that also.. currently have a 03 cobra bottom end, with bullit intake, vortech s/c 12psi.. 486rwhp... want to build myself a 5.4L navi motor for that and also put a paxton on that... i never knew that paxton was part of vortech till just recently..thats cool.. Thanks

650rwhp will get you 9's. 475 rwhp will get you 10's. I've done it. A 408 naturally aspirated will run mid-low 11's all day long with low compression. My little 418 runs mid 10's at a 130+ on the motor. Your goals are easily obtainable, it just takes a lot of money.

DOug
    14-1 compression 402ci with a little nitrous

Junior SCH Member
    hmm sounds good.. then maybe i wont put a paxton on.. but still sounds good to have thoughts..

Junior SCH Member
    I have a Novi 2000 on a 410 ci Windsor. FRPP W351 block, Eagle crank and rods, Wiseco pistons, TFS-R heads, GT-40 lower with a sheet metal upper, Cam Motion solid roller, Tremec TKO. I ended up making a custom bracket for the Novi, but the original bracket that came with the car was in rough shape, so that necessitated the new bracket. Anyway, I finally got the car running last year, although I am having some tuning issues with the EPEC system. With the car running quite rich and having some kind of ignition problem, it put out 467 rwhp, 528 lb-ft rwtq and only pulled to about 4000-4500 rpm. If I can get the tuning issues solved this spring, the car should be fairly driveable, and should put out well over 600hp to the wheels. This combo has a lot of torque, even with the blower not putting out boost right away.
    '88 LX Coupe, 410 cubic inch FRPP W351 block, TFS-R heads, GT-40 lower, Holcomb Civil Wars upper, Cam Motion solid roller, Paxton Novi 2000 cog drive S/N 5154, Tremec TKO, FRPP EPEC stand alone.

'94 Corvette Coupe, LT1, 6 speed, 13.391 @ 104.41 mph