Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novi 2000 install

Junior SCH Member

Novi 2000 install

Upon reading through the instructions and beginning the installation, I have some questions. This Novi is going on a 92GT, retaining the smog pump. So, the cast accessory bracket has been installed with the correct 2 bolts as directed by the instructions. Now, the "rear mtg bracket plate" is next to go on. However, the bottom two holes are of concern. The bottom hole on the left side passes through the cast bracket and into the block. However, the right hole is supposed to allow a bolt to go through the plate, pass through the upper ear of the alternator, then go into the cast bracket, which is threaded. There are no bolts in the bundle of parts that will be long enough to fit, nor do they have the thread pattern to fit. The long stock accessory bolt matches the thread pattern on the supplied Paxton cast bracket, but it's too large in diameter to pass through the plate. Are you supposed to open the hole to allow use of the stock bolt, or am I missing something?

SCH Member
    I had the same problems with my Novi2000. The mounting brackets were machined incorrectly. Paxton is aware of the problem,but for some reason has done nothing to correct it.
    1. Regarding the alternator bolt, if i remember correctly the rear plate was missing a thread for the bolt.So i went to Home Depot
    and bought a longer bolt and used a nut to fasten it.Problem Solved.
    2.There was another hole in the rear plate that was machined to small(was not same size as hole in front plat) i had to drill it bigger to match hole in front plate.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Track Heat Heads
    Trickflow Street Heat Intake
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    Scorpion 1:6 RR
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil
    Every other Bolt on available

518 RWHP 478 FT-LBS Torque

Junior SCH Member
    tonyv,
    The problem with the Alternator bolt is that the plate is machined SMALLER than the stock alternator bolt. The cast bracket that is attached to the heads is threaded for it, same thread pattern as the stock alternator bolt. But, the plate is too small. Maybe I'll just drill it out. Anything else to watch out for?

SCH Member
    I remember that the NOVI2000 kit supplied me with a new long bolt to mount the alternator. I did not have to reuse the old one.
    It would not supprise me if your brackets have different maching mistakes than mine did. Paxtons quality control sucks. Many people have had problems installing this kit. Another problem was that the assesory belt kept coming of the A/C pully. It was incorrectly alighned. When u get to that stage, ill tell u how to correct that problem. Another problem is that the instructions do not follow the correct order. For example i would install something following the instructions,then i would have to remove it to install something else.The kit was a ***** to install,but at the end its all worth the effort.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil

Junior SCH Member
    I have some BS going on with the alt. bolts that are supplied with my 2k kit. Have not done the install yet but know I'm screwed to some detail from the start.

Here is my thread about that: http://www.novipower.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=378 No responses yet.

Best of luck!

Junior SCH Member
    tonyv, I guess go ahead and give me the low-down on the A/C issue. I'm just going to drill out the hole today and get the alternator on.

SCH Member
    Regarding your assessory belt. Install everything and start up the car.You might not have a problem. My problem was that the assessory belt was coming off the A/C Compressor pully by about 1/8 inch. To remedy this i installed 2 washers between the Paxton supplied "Belt tensioner bracket" where the tensioner gets mounted to and the rear plate. I belive there were 3 bolts holding this small bracket to the rear plate. For each of the 3 bolts i used 2 washers. By doing this it moved the bracket back or closer to the enging block.You might have to grind a bit of the plate that holds the A/C Comp and Power steering Pump.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil

Junior SCH Member
    Now I have a problem with the smog pump. The instructions call for a bolt identical to what the alternator required. However, I had to use the alternator's stock bolt. Now, there are no more. Also, the point in the cast bracket that this bolt is to go to is not threaded as it shows in the drawing. Am I supposed to just use a nut?

SCH Member
    Use a longer bolt and nut. Thats what i did.HomeDepot
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil

Junior SCH Member
    Ok, I'll use one of the supplied bolts with a nut. Thanks. I guess you have to since there's no thread inside the bracketry.

Junior SCH Member
    Also, what the hell do you do with the alternator stay bracket? It looks as if it's supposed to go to the underside of the smog pump, but how?

SCH Member
    The alternator stay bracket goes from the alt to the smog pump.Its very simple. From under the cat u be able to tell how it goes.I believe u have to remove the lower bolt on the alt and one on the smogpump.Then just reinstall both bolts with the bracket. All the bracket does is ties the alt and smog pump together.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil

Junior SCH Member
    But the alternator stay bracket goes from being flat to having a flat side... kind of like the letter 'L'. With the bracket bolted to the alternator, it's going up and down. But, the flat side looks like it is supposed to bolt up into the smog pump. But, this can't be right.
    Got any pictures?

SCH Member
    The flat smaller side of the "L" gets bolted to the smog pump.The longside reaches down to the alternator.
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Engine:
    1993 Mustang LX 5.0

Paxton Novi2000 12psi
    Trickflow Stage 2 cam
    70mm BBK TB
    80mm Pro-M Shorty
    PowerPipe
    42# Injectors
    BBK 1 3/4 Long tube
    Flowmaster Catback
    Crane HI-6/PS2 Coil

Junior SCH Member
    Tonyv, where on the smog pump does the smaller flat side of the 'L' go on the smog pump specifically? I see no threaded holes facing UP on the pump. The only holes there are facing the rear of the car.