Thread: Upgrade?

SCH Member

Upgrade?

Hi Guys I am new to the supercharged world, I have just Installed a sn-92 on my 88 gt this past November, My Mods are sn-92 5# boost 73mm mass air 65mm throttle body 24 #injectors and fmu gt-40 intake 1.7 rr edelbrock 6037s msd btm stock lower end and cam. Car runs great never got it to the track yet but it feels real strong. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to make as far as HP? and 1/4 mile times? I have a chance to buy a ati Procharger 600b W/3 core Intercooler. would there be a big diffrence in power?HP?1/4mile times? Can I get more power out of my sn safely? What would you guys do?Thanks

Junior SCH Member
    well.. youd get more boost.. so yes you would get more power and through an intercooler helps even more.. I have the P600B right now and my brother has an SN-89 that makes 5 psi too. Let me just say that the p600B by far puts out more boost and is not limited as much. I have the 17 lbs pulley on mine right now and the highest I've taken it was 5400 rpm and I saw about 11 lbs... you loose about 2 -3 lbs boost through the 3-core so I wouldnt doubt if mine could hit 13 or so lbs.. havent tried though.. still need to get it dyno tuned. I think if you could get a good deal on it and want some more power than go for it. The ATI is also a LOT louder than the paxton which I like :)
    1990 GT - ATI p600b with 3/core IC, Edelbrock 60379's, Trickflow Streetheat, F303 cam, crane 1.7's, 70mm TB/EGR, Romac dampner, T5z, 3.73's w/posi, uneq. shortys, o/r h-pipe, flow cat-back, MSD 6al, msd tfi coil, 75mm Pro-m, Kirban AFPR, 36 lbs. inj, dual 255lph, 3-core HD radiator, eletric fan, BFG drag radials, boost/fuel pressure gauges, sub-frames, alum. DS, steeda springs, tokico premiums, pro3i lc arms.. lots more..
    -450RWHP / 443RWTQ - 12 Lbs of boost
    My car on cardomain.com

SCH Member
    Thanks for the info, I am making 5# with the paxton and it feels great and has good drivabilty, will I still have that with the procharger? Does the paxton make more power at lower rpms?Is there any benifit of having the paxton over the Procharger?What do you mean by limited to? What do you run in the 1/4?I will be getting a 14# PULLEY with a 3 core intercooler. My set up is almost the same as yours and I would like to know what I can expect! How do the drag radials hook up?Thanks Frank.

Junior SCH Member
    The procharger has the same drivabilty as the paxton IMO. The paxton makes less power in all rpms due to being not intercooled, less efficient, and only making 5-6 lbs at max where as the procharger is already at 5 lbs shortly after slamming the pedal down. The only benefits of having the paxton over the procharger is that the paxton makes a good sleeper because its so quite, other people wont expect it were as the ati is the total opposit, almost no one will wanna race you when they hear the ATI. By limited I just mean that the paxton's maximum possible boost that it can put out is much lower the the ATI's, I'm pretty sure the most people have got outta that paxton is ~8 lbs or so where as the P600B is around ~14 with the IC. Another good thing about the ATI is that its oil fed from the motor so that means whenever you change your engine oil it applies to the procharger too, where as the paxton you have to change it seperately and is a pain in the arse. When my stang had the stock H/C/I and other stuff like gears/exhaust/pulleys/rockers I was running 14.1@100mph 2.0 60ft in the 1/4. After I put on the P600B with new injectors, fuel pump, and MSD, I ran a 12.8@116mph 2.0 60ft. So that alone was a huge gain, I still havent run it yet with the new motor and ATI but I wouldnt doubt if I hit 11's or even 10's with slicks. I dont plan on running slicks yet though. I think the DR's hook very well on the street and the track. To get them to really hook though your supposed to lower the pressure to about 15 lbs and then do a 5-10 second burnout but I have not tried that yet at the track. When I left them at 32 lbs I would launch at around 2500 rpm and they would only spin a little in first and then hook great the rest of the run. Well just let me know if you have anymore ?'s and ill be glad to answer.
    1990 GT - ATI p600b with 3/core IC, Edelbrock 60379's, Trickflow Streetheat, F303 cam, crane 1.7's, 70mm TB/EGR, Romac dampner, T5z, 3.73's w/posi, uneq. shortys, o/r h-pipe, flow cat-back, MSD 6al, msd tfi coil, 75mm Pro-m, Kirban AFPR, 36 lbs. inj, dual 255lph, 3-core HD radiator, eletric fan, BFG drag radials, boost/fuel pressure gauges, sub-frames, alum. DS, steeda springs, tokico premiums, pro3i lc arms.. lots more..
    My car on cardomain.com

SCH Member
    Whats a good deal for a complete kit, satin finish with the 3 core intercooler? Thanks Frank

Junior SCH Member
    well.. i got mine for 2200 with a phantom boost gauge and 36 lbrs and 76mm MAF included. It was used just over a year and the guy even helped me install it because he lived close by me.
    My car on cardomain.com