Thread: PCV valves and crankcase breathers

Junior SCH Member

PCV valves and crankcase breathers

I'm running a SN89 on a EFI 5.0L Mustang. The stock PCV is hooked up through an Edelbrock intake. I have a K&N breather in the passenger side valve cover; the driver side is sealed. Also the tube on the throttle body is capped (that used to run to the oil fill tube on stock valvecovers).

Wondering if this is the best method for crankcase ventilation with an SN89 pushing 5 psi. The only complaint I have with the current system is that it allows some oil out of the breather and drips on to the valve cover under boost.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar
    On the Edelbrock Performer intake the pcv passes thru a T on the bottom of the plenum and then routes around to the front of the upper intake crossover. If you are oiling up your intake, Edelbrock recommends blocking off that first passage into the bottom of the plenum, use only the passage up on the front of the crossover, to help eliminate oiling the intake manifold. You can also run a Turbo Coupe pcv valve which has a check valve built in. I'm not a big fan of the valve cover breathers on efi cars but plenty of guys seem to run alright with them, I suppose it depends on the condition of your motor.
    Chris

Junior SCH Member
    Didn't know that about the Edelbrock, thanks for the info.