Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
When to upgrade to a better bypass?

Thread: When to upgrade to a better bypass?

Junior SCH Member

When to upgrade to a better bypass?

I'm seeing between 11-13psi. on stock pulleys. What's involved in upgrading to a larger bypass.....as far as changing the discharge tube and powerpipe. Any pics of one the maxflow bypasses?
    331 R-block, RAP Edelbrock heads, Holley intake, NOVI 2000, AFM powerpipe, TKO, EPEC

How hi do you rev your motor to see that much boost? What heads, cam, intake, and throttle body do you have? I have a vortec hi flow setup on my novi2k. It is a little bigger discharge tube, with a vortec race bypass and then instead of the rubber elbow that comes with the power pipe they give you an aluminium one with the provision for the blow off. Then they give you a small piece of silicon tubbing to connect everything. You would just plug the bung in your power pipe. In the new 5.0 magazine this same kit is the one they test in the real street blower challenge.

From what I've read you should be good until you start to make 15 or more pounds of boost.

Brandon

Junior SCH Member
    Yeah, I read that new article in 5.0 and I was amazed on how boost they made. Are they using stock pulleys or what? I rev the car to about 6200. Combo consists of 331, Performer 5.0 heads, Holley intake, xe274hr cam, 70mm tb.
    331 R-block, RAP Edelbrock heads, Holley intake, NOVI 2000, AFM powerpipe, TKO, EPEC

The bypass that comes with the Novi 2000 kit is supposed to be good up to the boost level your at now so it's really up to you as to whether or not you should upgrade. Without too much trouble you can upgrade to a Vortech Race bypass as Dugscpe uses on his set up. As far as I know it bolts right up to the Novi 2000 discharge tube. However you would have to modify your power pipe by welding on a larger fitting to accomadate the larger hose that fits this bypass. Dugscpe could probably give you some pointers on how he did it.

Senior SCH Member
    I've got one of those but haven't installed it yet. It's got 2 vacuum fittings on it (you can see both of them in that picture) and I'm not sure which one goes to what. I've been told that you plug one of them up with a vacuum cap but I don't know which one.

Does anybody know? *Kurgan?*

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by Saleen91
    I've got one of those but haven't installed it yet. It's got 2 vacuum fittings on it (you can see both of them in that picture) and I'm not sure which one goes to what. I've been told that you plug one of them up with a vacuum cap but I don't know which one.

Does anybody know? *Kurgan?*
    One of the ports vacuum sensitive(the one you want to hook your vacuum line to), and the other is mainly just a vent to let air in and out as the valve opens and closes...you don't want to put a cap on this one. I know your not supposed to push the valve open by hand, but do it a feel around the ports for air, as you push the valve in you should be able to put your finger over the vacuum port and feel a suctioning effect as the valve closes by itself.
    89 GT
    Stock 77K mile short block, Novi 2000 w/race bypass, Holley intake, TFS TW heads, F-cam, Cartech Power Pipe, Pro-M 80, 42# injectors, 255 high press. intank pump, 255 inline pump, BBK 1 3/4 longtubes, and much more...

Best 1/4 mile:
    11.552 @ 128.97 mph on 17" Nitto DR's

Junior SCH Member
    Any change in performance by upgrading to the larger bypass?

Junior SCH Member
    I don't know if there was any change on mine, because I have always had a race bypass just for the piece of mind that it is holding. I wouldn't think there would be too much of a difference in power until you decide to change pulleys. But I personally would do it at your power level anyways, you don't have anything to lose.

With the stock pulley on the blower and crank I regularly see 13#'s, on a cool night I see 15#'s around 6300. With a 3.1" pulley I see 19#'s @ 6300 and the boost doesn't fall off at all.
    89 GT
    Stock 77K mile short block, Novi 2000 w/race bypass, Holley intake, TFS TW heads, F-cam, Cartech Power Pipe, Pro-M 80, 42# injectors, 255 high press. intank pump, 255 inline pump, BBK 1 3/4 longtubes, and much more...

Best 1/4 mile:

Junior SCH Member
    Novi2KGT, do you have any pics of bypass installed? Just wondering what type of provisions I have to do to my powerpipe.

Junior SCH Member
    Originally posted by stampede90gt
    Novi2KGT, do you have any pics of bypass installed? Just wondering what type of provisions I have to do to my powerpipe.
    I have a pic, but it isn't a very good one. All I needed for my Paxton Bypass was a 2" bung on the powerpipe then I found a 2" radiator hose with a 90 degree bend already in it (I'll look for the part # if you need it) and it fits perfectly.

Here it is, but it isn't of just the bypass:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    89 GT

Best 1/4 mile: