Thread: 99 Tahoe with Whipple Charger Problems

Junior SCH Member

99 Tahoe with Whipple Charger Problems

I need some help on the following please:
    I installed a Whipple SC on my 99 Tahoe with a 5.7L. It all worked out fine but the GM computer is sending a code MAF problem. I replaced the one installed with a new one but no luck. I called Whipple and have been told that I need a new computer, 700 $. The one for the 99 is not supported any longer. The truck seems to run fine, even so I did expect a little more power. Yesterday a S 10 run away from me. Has anybody ever seen the same problem and what may be the fix for it?

Thanks for your help

TK

Dunno how to fix it, but you might try to find a wrecked newer tahoe on one of those junkyard search deals for a new computer. Or take the car in and have it dynoed and see how much power its making now and compare it to their claims. You aren't goona be able to really judge by streetracing if its working fine with it throwing the code.

Junior SCH Member
    so how is that working out for you ? noticed you post is a month old, not much action on this site. anyway, i am experiencing some problems with the whipple electronics as well. they are in a word, garbage, if i did'nt need it to control the bypass, i would put it in a box cover it with feces and send it back to them. if you have a mechanical bypass, junk the computer and either get edit to tune it or have someone tune it for you. you may be able to adjust the maf fail high enough with edit to fix the problem or it may be the whipple piggyback just sending wrong signals as in my case. if you are still having the problem and want to discuss it i'll do what i can. e. also try www.lstech.com as it does'nt seem like your getting alot of response here.

Junior SCH Member
    oh, sorry i was'nt thinking. if you have'nt already installed larger injectors, and do have a mechanical bypass, kenne bell has an upgrade. they reflash your pcm and give you larger injectors, it does away with the aux inj's and all the elec. spaghetti. also supposed to give you much more hp. try www.kennebell.net look for the lysholm upgrade. good luck

Junior SCH Member

Answer to Whipple problems

Well, here is the deal.
    For the money that I had spend for the Whipple I was hoping to get some more results out of it. The MAF problem was more than likely from the computer that Whipple supplied for the early models (99). Problem is that the only way that Whipple supports the older computer is by selling you a new one for 750 US $ plus shipping. Even folks at Whipple admitted that the older computer had problems with the MAF signal but there is no support but to purchase a new one. There is no trade in or anything. So, I'm not to happy with the whole deal and do believe that I will never ever purchase a Whipple again. The setup is fine, no problem there. It did all fit and looks nice but the support is very limited. The fellow in customer support did the best he was able but he did not get any help for more difficult questions. So, for me, not again. Not worth the money and hassel.
    TK