Thread: Oil leak from head unit??

Junior SCH Member

Oil leak from head unit??

I built a 331 and made a mistake of using a race pump from Precision Oil Pumps.It was misrepresented when I bought it and I was not told how much oil pressure I would have.After I had done bolted it on the motor I called back and asked and I was told it would be around 90lb.It being built better is the reason I bought it.After I started the motor I was suprised to see over 100lb at an idle,even warm.I had the adjuster backed all the way out and still had this much pressure! I am currently changing the pump but I have developed a slow leak from my S-trim now.Is there something I can do about this or do I have to send it back to Vortech? I understand they won't sell parts but I was hoping someone else has had this problem and might know of an alternative.I had only run or drove the motor about 40 easy mi. alltogether.Any suggestions about my head unit is appreciated.
    Let's Roll....

By the sounds of it the high pressure of the oil feed has blown the seals in the S? You did not have any problems before using this oil pump?

Is your Vortech under warranty?

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    I bought the S-trim used but did not have any problems when I first fired it up.Also the guy I bought it from was a real honest person and said there was not any leaks at all.I'm sure there wasn't.Would I be able to relace the seal or do I have to plunk down the cash to Vortech?It looks like a small leak is coming from the pulley shaft or input shaft.I can get oil on my finger after rubbing th underside of the head unit.Any ideas?
    Let's Roll....

Senior SCH Member
    My guess is the oil pressure didn't cause it to leak...REASON: the amount of oil entering the SC is somewhat controlled by the "MISTER", & if it were'nt, the oil would still drain faster than it can feed(See orifice of feed & drain (Sizes)Could'nt pressurize unless drain was plugged....I say it had 2 b leaking b 4..pressure did'nt cause prob.Keep in mind the amount the car was driven b 4 oil residue showed up..It takes a few minutes for the oil to heat up and get out of those small leaking areas...I would b more concerned about spinning a cam bearing w/that high oil pressure than anything else & agree that leak has 2 b fixed... ...MY 2Cents..
    Last edited by midnight; 02-08-2004 at 09:10 AM.

Junior SCH Member
    Midnight,you are right to some extent.I had my oil drain hose running down hill except at one point where it went up over the K member.I have got the Canton T pan and I was using a port on the driver's side for the drain,so it was difficult to keep it running all down hill.I rerouted the hose just to see by chance if that was it,but the unit was still leaking of course.I am currently installing a tubular K member,and changing the pump.I'm going to have a bung welded on the front side of the pan for the oil drain,to correct this problem.I guess at this point I'll have to have Vortech replace the seals? The stupid mistake's we make sometimes..!!???!!
    Let's Roll....