Thread: Anyone know what this is?

Junior SCH Member

Anyone know what this is?

A buddy of mine got this Paxton thrown in a deal for free. It's an old Paxton Products (Division of Studebaker) model. There was no sn#. The only numbers it had stamped on it were VS57S and 108350. I'm guessing the second number is the serial. The inlet and outlet are tiny.

Thanks for looking.
    FFW DR27

A relic :D

Sorry couldn't resist, just an off the wall guess but if it's divcsion of Studebaker I bet you that it's an old OEM blower from back in that era. Might bring a chunk of change if someone who's restoring whatever it came off of is looking for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Type in Google Studebaker Club and you will find sites that show the supercharger and even if it is just a shell someone will buy it because parts are still sold for the V57 50years later.

Junior SCH Member
    The VS-57 was the first blower made by Paxton.

Here is some info on it.... I hope this helps you.:)

In 1956, McCulloch set up a special automotive division, Paxton Superchargers (his middle name), to handle the supercharger division. The same year the company changed the name of the ball drive supercharger to the VS-57 and developed a new variable rate supercharger called the VR-57. The new supercharger incorporated a variable rate internal planetary drive ratio that could alter the step up ratio from 3.5:1 to 5.5:1. The variable rate was achieved by a spring pack that would change the distance between the ball races based on RPM. The supercharger experienced a one-year victory in NASCAR causing officials to ban superchargers in the sport. The supercharger was most notably used as the F-option on the 1957 Ford Thunderbird (211 produced).

In 1958, Paxton Superchargers was sold to the Granatelli brothers. The design of the dated VS-57 was updated to a new model that could withstand higher RPM and increased boost. The SN-60 required fewer components and eliminated the variable rate components found in the VS-57 and VR-57.