Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Intake backfire/popping over 5# of boost?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake backfire/popping over 5# of boost?

Intake backfire/popping over 5# of boost?

Finally got my S-Trim installed in my 90 LX Mustang with a 306 and took it out for a drive. Over 5# of boost under full throttle, it sounds like it's popping in the intake -- it's loud. Everything appears to be working correctly, fuel pressure increasing under boost to as high as 80psi with the FMU. Timing set at 8 degrees initial, rechecked plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil -- MSD boost retard set on 3 degrees of retard per # of boost. Monkeyed with the fuel pressure from 39# to 42# initial. Car drives exactly as it did when N/A when not in the boost. Drives great. Once over 5#, starts to what appears to be the popping in the intake, like an intake backfire. Any ideas on what the check? Many thanks.
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX

What are your plugs gapped at?

Sounds like spark blowout to me.

Gap your plugs at the .030 to .035 range or get yourself an MSD ignition box.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Thanks for the response. During the install I reduced the plug gaps from 0.040" when it was NA to 0.035" now that the S-trim is installed. Perhaps I will drop it down to 0.032" and see what happens. Ignition is stock with a remanufactured Ford distributor, MSD TFI coil, FMS 8mm plug wires (OHM check is within specs), and autolite 3924 new plugs.

I have been eyeing the Crane HI-6TRC ignition.
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX

WOW dude set the retard to 1 or 1.5 degree and gap your plugs per chuck. @ 5psi the btm is pulling 15 degrees of timing and more than likely your headers will glow cherrie red if you keep up.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

With 93 octane in the tank, you think 1 to 1.5 of retard is enough? The folks at Powered by Ford in Orlando suggested 8 - 12 initial timing with 93 octane and set the BTM at 3 for street. For open track (SCCA Solo I events) they suggested a equal mix of 110 unleaded with pump gas then back the BTM down to zero.

I'm new to this supercharger thing and I gotta tell ya I am very nervous about blowing a head gasket. Hence my overly conservative initial tune.

Again, very much appreciate the feedback.
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX

Well dont be afraid to close up the spark plugs. Alternative Auto gaps there plugs between .024 and .026 and they have some fast cars. I had this problem with my car, I installed a MSD 6BTM and it cured all my probs.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

I pretty sure you are safe as long as the fuel system is up to snuff....put the btm @ 2 and see if it gets a little better if your worried. It is best to sneak up on a good tune but i think you're being overly safe. Don't use me as an example but i ran 8* initial all year with 10 psi on sunoco 94 for about 50 dragstip passes-w-no ignition retard. 1.5 in my opinion is plenty safe with 8* initial. Do you have stock pullies? I noticed your using an FMU I'd be carful about doing an SCCA event and having 60-100 psi of fuel pressure all the time.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Well dont be afraid to close up the spark plugs. Alternative Auto gaps there plugs between .024 and .026 and they have some fast cars. I had this problem with my car, I installed a MSD 6BTM and it cured all my probs.
    I agree...infact La Rocca's gaps their plugs at .20. I would definitely gap them down to at least the .25 - .30 range and see if that helps
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck

Apologies in advance for rambling - but I really appreciate the feedback. Perhaps I mispoke -- I'm afraid of being aggressive on the TIMING and blowing a head gasket. I will definately tighten up the plug gap a bunch til I upgrade to a MSD or Crane ignition. Part of my concern is the engine was built 2 years and 2000 miles ago with light roadracing and weekend street driving in mind, not blowers. Stock .030 over block and cast .000 crank, aftermarket balancer, reconditioned rods, ARP main cap studs, ARP rod bolts, KB hyper pistons, balanced assembly, Edelbrock Perf heads w/ lite porting and 1.94 intake valves, ported GT-40 intake, 24# inj, 75mm MAF, 190lph intank pump, Kiban regulator, 1 5/8 longtubes, 2.5 Dr. Gas X pipe, Canton RR oil pan, windage tray, accusump, stock Melling oil pump. CR is about 9.8:1. Was not originally intended to be supercharged but it made right at 300 rwhp when NA and has been a blast to flog on the track. But as usual, I wanted/needed more but wanted to retain the street driveablity. After some research, supercharging appeared to be the ticket. I selected the 93 Cobra Mustang Vortech V2-SQ-S-trim kit because the FMU was already set for 24# and it included an underdrive crank pulley (4.75" serpentine / 6.87" blower). The supercharger pulley is stock (8 grove 3.33") while the WP and ALT are ASP underdrive, an ASP smog pump eliminator, no AC, and the PS pulley is a large diameter from a 1990 T-bird V6. Fuel system is a 190lph intank and a T-Rex auxillary. Stock fuel lines and fuel rail with 24# injectors. I'm planning on running on the dyno to check the air fuel once I fix this ignition issue. Some dyno tuners here in FLA have strongly recommended I purchase 42# injectors and recal the MAF, then ditch the FMU before they will tune the car with a chip. The folks at Powered by Ford have provided great set up advice to over the years and urged me to install the 190 intank pump (which I did) but keep the 24# and FMU and forget the chip -- based on their experience. Being new to blowers, you can see I'm still finding my way.
    Last edited by IPPO; 02-15-2004 at 08:31 PM.
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    You are so down on timing your going to be negative..LOL. Your plug gap is fine your just pulling out so much timing the car can't run. your at 8 degrees with 16 degrees advance= 24 degrees then you pulling out 3 degrees for each 1 psi at 5psi your pulling 15 degress that is only 9 degrees total timing and you can be at 21 degrees with 93 octane if not more, but 19-21 is really safe at 5psi. You take care of that timing your going to gain something like 50hp if not more and the car will run much cooler and will save a head gasket because you need to be in the middle with your tune. Put your timing back at 14degrees and pull 2 degrees for every 1psi.

Senior SCH Member
    take the dyno tuners advise and get 42# injectors and recal the MAF. get rid of that damn FMU. after this get on a dyno and get a good tune done. you WONT be sorry!!! after you do some more research, you will find this is the way to go. i'm very happy with my set up and making close to 5 to the rear and driving my car EVERY day.

I'm pretty sure the problems you described were due to the excess of timing you were pulling out.

From all your responses it would appear my overly conservative approach is hindering my cause. I'll try again given all the suggestions later today and report back. Thanks very much.
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX

Good call everyone. I tightened the plug gap down to 0.030" and the intake popping/backfiring is completely gone. Then I reduced the timing retard down from 3 to 2 and noticed my Nitto drags increasingly lost traction as the rpms climbed -- a significant increase in power. I'm sure the low 40 degree weather here in North Florida tonight contributed to lack of traction. This is gonna be a blast on an open track. I should have done this years ago.
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX

Awesome! Glad it's running good. You'll really love putting race gas in it and putting the BTM knob to zero! :D