Thread: Need a bolt!

Need a bolt!

Why does my new S-trim kit come with a 3/8" x 6 1/4" bolt to hang the alternator on my 92 LX? It needs a 7/16" bolt!!!! I checked the alternator I have off an 88 GT and it too requires a 7/16 bolt. Which model years needed the 3/8" bolt? Anyway, I have looked high and low to find most places carry only 3/8" and 1/2" stock and the rare place that has anything 7/16" only has stock that is 6" long!!!! Another guy told me that once you get bolts longer than 6" that they only come is 1" increments.
    Where do I get the 7/16 x 6 1/4" bolt I need? (not some threaded rod!).
    Help!!!!
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Jason,

So you need a 7/16 x 6 1/4?

There is a local store here that carries every bolt on the face of the earth :)

Ian

Found it

Ian,

Went back to fastener supply place we talked about to get some threaded rod but I figured I would ask someone else about the bolt... what do you know this guy goes in the back and finds a dusty old 6 1/2" x 7/16 bolt. Best $1.50 I've spent in a while!
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Good to hear!

How has the rest of the install been going?

Ian

Darknotch, Not only did they have the wrong bolt size in my kit but i had to drill the hole out when i did get the right bolt LOL.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Ian,

Install is going slow.... too much time at work and doing things around the house to get any serious installation done. Not a big deal though as I should easily be done before the snow is gone. One minor problem, after I installed the crank pulley I held the fan in place to check the clearance and there is NONE. I am currently running a Flexalite (not electric) clutchless fan, you know the metal ones with the flexible blades? What do you think, bigger spacer, put the stock fan back, or get a Flexalite 175 electric? Have you got a line on a Flexalite 175 by chance?

regattacoupe,

Just finished enlarging the holes last night myself. Personally, I want to know who has an alternator that uses the 3/8" bolt provided. I've been trying to call Vortech to ask about this and inform them that some of their installation drawings are inaccurate but they never answer (in the tech department).
    Jason

For anyone having trouble finding a 7/16 X 6 1/4" bolt for their alternator fix, try your local Ring Power / Catapillar truck and tractor service center. CAT manufactures a line of their own grade 8 hardware and in my case was the only one in town that had a 7/16 X 6 1/2" bolt in stock. It was easy to cut down with a hacksaw. Now mine is fixed as well.
    Rob Ippolito
    1990 Mustang LX

Quote Originally Posted by darknotch
    .....Install is going slow....
    That's cause you are spending too much time playing Pac-Man!! :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

actually he spends too much time trying to beat my asteriod score!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D