Thread: Does the 1000 whine that much at idle?

SCH Member

Does the 1000 whine that much at idle?

Checked out Sinners vid, and it sounds like a S-trim to me.
    PSCA Wild Street 4
    8.66 at 159 on 275/60/15 M/T ET Street Radials with a 1.27 60-foot

hehe...yeah I think most are quieter then mine. My buddy's S trim is still louder though
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

Junior SCH Member
    i just got mine installed and u can hardly even hear it, sounds like the whine of a altenator.

mine was pretty loud, especially at ~750 RPM's, quieted down considerably above 900 RPM's
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Senior SCH Member frank woodall's Avatar
    Last edited by frank woodall; 02-16-2004 at 06:58 PM.
    "The replacement for displacement is measured in P.S.I."
    91 Turbo GT Vert (fast)
    92 GMC Typhoon #1799
    00 Suzuki Katana
    90 LX Vert 5.0 (all stock 57,000mi)

Mines kind of loud too, but no where near as loud as an S-trim. I dont get it because Ive seen some modular motors around where the blower is soo damn quiet that I cant tell even if theres a blower on the car. Seriously the sound is so quiet an subtle it sounds stock, but you can kinda hear a faint whine. Maybe they are powerdynes Im hearing???
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

Junior SCH Member
    RydeOn, thats the way my car is, i fired it up waiting to hear the whine, but nothing, with the hood closed u cant even tell it has a blower,

man I got screwed....I ran a powerdyne cause I wanted a quite blower then I went to this hoping it be quiet like you guy are talking about...but no
    432 rwhp 404 rwtq.........11.76 @ 120mph on nitto's!!!
    Novi 1000, 8lbs of boost, stock cam, performer intake and heads, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.55's, 555 DR's (dyno'd on mustang dyno)
    Daily Driver
    My idling Novi 1000 vid
    1/4 mile run Sorry it's a little old now
    Club Videos
    Pics&Mods

I don't think mine is loud, i think it is just about right. Not near as loud as a V-1. Although I like Harley's, open-header drag cars, sprints, monster trucks, ect ect ect

I may not be a good person to ask. LOL
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Quote Originally Posted by RydeOn
    Mines kind of loud too, but no where near as loud as an S-trim. I dont get it because Ive seen some modular motors around where the blower is soo damn quiet that I cant tell even if theres a blower on the car. Seriously the sound is so quiet an subtle it sounds stock, but you can kinda hear a faint whine. Maybe they are powerdynes Im hearing???
    Probably the V2 SQ they are really quiet and can barely be heard over the exhaust when the hoods down.

I think sound level has alot more to do with variables like engine combos,power pipes, hood liners ,mileage and so on than it does with individual blowers. You will certainly here a Novi 1000. I dont think there near as quiet as Paxton says,at least not the ones I've heard.They arent in the same league as an S-trim as far as sound goes unless you have a unusually loud 1K and a unusually quiet s-trim.The V-1's are loud!..Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sinner
    man I got screwed....I ran a powerdyne cause I wanted a quite blower then I went to this hoping it be quiet like you guy are talking about...but no
    I know, I was hoping for roots quiet at idle so I could have sleeper status.

Mine is like sinnners at idle but lower pitched. Obviously, I am only running 6psi max. Unlike his though, the second I rev it, its dead silent. Another thing I noticed is sinnner has the same horrible fan noise Ive been wanting to shoot myself over. I imagine putting an electric fan would quiet things down significantly. That is the next thing I hope to do on my car..
    Last edited by RydeOn; 02-17-2004 at 03:39 AM.
    93 Cobra - NOVI 1000 new style, Walbro GSS340, 130AMP alt, Griffin radiator, Mercury Sable fan + Delta Controller, Bassani offroad X, Magnaflow with 3" tailpipes, Tokico Illuminas, FRPP driveshaft, 3.55s, Nitto 555s (extremes up front and drags out back), Ultralite boost and EFP gauges

91 bigass Bronco 4X4, to crush ricers with

SCH Member
    Thanks for the responses. Personally, I like the whine, and was expecting it with my 2000---ended up being dead nuts quiet though. :)
    PSCA Wild Street 4
    8.66 at 159 on 275/60/15 M/T ET Street Radials with a 1.27 60-foot

Junior SCH Member
    well i think i may have found out why my blower wasnt making any noise, comes to find out i have a underdrive crank pulley therefore the supercharger is being underdriven also, that also explains why i was only making 1 psi at redline :)

Junior SCH Member
    Mine is definitely noticeable below 900 rpms. Whistles like crazy until you rev it then all you here is woooshhhh ;).

Matt