Thread: Is an intercooler needed?

Junior SCH Member

Is an intercooler needed?

I have an 03 mach1. I'm planning on getting a Vortech but would like to know if it's really needed. Not looking for huge numbers, something around 400-425 RWHP. I live in cali and the weather isn't unusually hot most of the year if that helps any. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

SCH Member
    what part of cali isnt usualy hot ?

Quote Originally Posted by DSGMach1
    I have an 03 mach1. I'm planning on getting a Vortech but would like to know if it's really needed. Not looking for huge numbers, something around 400-425 RWHP. I live in cali and the weather isn't unusually hot most of the year if that helps any. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    For a daily driven street car running 7-8 lbs of boost you dont need a intercooler, although it would be better,,, once you start making above 10lbs of boost an intercooler is recommended.... Im pushing 10lbs on a good day,, and I have no intercooler,, car runs pretty good,, but Im sure it would run a bit better with a cooler,, Bee

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebee03
    For a daily driven street car running 7-8 lbs of boost you dont need a intercooler, although it would be better,,, once you start making above 10lbs of boost an intercooler is recommended.... Im pushing 10lbs on a good day,, and I have no intercooler,, car runs pretty good,, but Im sure it would run a bit better with a cooler,, Bee
    the mach 1's are 10:1 though...if the tune is right on it will run like a raped ape!
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    With a good tune I don't think it's needed but it will be nice to have if you bracket race (more consistant air intake temps) or get too agressive on the boost.
    Ross
    Blown & Chill'd Dakota

Junior SCH Member
    Simply put, anything that cools intake temp is a good idea, whether you're running 1lb of boost or 10lbs. Cooler intake temp is simply safer.

Usually a decent air-air single core (3 core and all that is BS) will run you around $400-500, definitely worth the money.

Cheers,

Scott