Thread: sn-89 oil cooler and power pipe questions

Senior SCH Member

Post sn-89 oil cooler and power pipe questions

I just picked up a Mustang 5.0 lx hatchback and it came with a Paxton SN-89. I was just wondering what oil cooler could I install with this model and where can I get it. I was also wondering if there was a powerpipe made for this model car/blower that they still have availiable?

Does this blower have a bypass valve stock? If not is there an aftermarket one I can use?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    Dallas Mustangs and AFM powerpipe will work. Anything under 5psi you don't really need one but the car will drive better with it because of the MAS meter. You can call Craig at Paradise Wheels and see if he still has some cooler units and to warn you they are probably like $250, that is what I paid for one in '92 and I am sure he will still ask that if he has any.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    Dallas Mustangs and AFM powerpipe will work. Anything under 5psi you don't really need one but the car will drive better with it because of the MAS meter. You can call Craig at Paradise Wheels and see if he still has some cooler units and to warn you they are probably like $250, that is what I paid for one in '92 and I am sure he will still ask that if he has any.
    Thanks. Also, thanks for sending that manual over to me.

Do you happen to know what the stock pully is on the sn89? The previous owner is running a 3.25" blower pulley.

Stock was a 4.25"

I will be calling Craig at Paradise Wheels when I get back from Florida on March 8th and I will see what kind of prices I can work out with him on parts. I will check on rebuild kits, upgrade parts and etc.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedytang
    I will be calling Craig at Paradise Wheels when I get back from Florida on March 8th and I will see what kind of prices I can work out with him on parts. I will check on rebuild kits, upgrade parts and etc.

Cool. If you get a price on oil coolers, let me know. I would appreciate it.

What would running a 3.25" pully on that sn-89 do eventually? Am I over spinning the blower? I have a stock pully setup other than that.

Junior SCH Member
    What size of crank pulley are you running. Paradise Wheels is very expensive. I spent $100 on a set of balls, $50 on a used shaft, another $100 on races for the balls.

$250 for a 3/4 rebuild is cheap. You are only missing new bearings and seals. Try to have any other unit rebuilt for under $850 and you would be lucky and someone else needs to do the labor so your down for 3-4 weeks waiting.

Junior SCH Member
    {What would running a 3.25" pully on that sn-89 do eventually? Am I over spinning the blower? I have a stock pully setup other than that.}

I've run that size pully on my 89 gt for at least 30000 miles. It helps if you have a cooler and change the fluid religiously, like every 2000 miles.

I think a 3.25" even with the 6" crank pulley is just baking that impeller shaft. I am really surprised it has lasted. I do change my ATF every 3000 even with the cooler but I change it after each race since it is so hard on the supercharger running it hard then letting that ATF bake on the impeller shaft and balls when you shut down. At 6000rpm you are probably 50k+ rpm and I would think your belt would be slipping since you don't have much pulley to belt contact. How much peak boost are you seeing and at what rpm. If the boost does not climb any after 4k rpm I would move up to a 3.5" and you porbably will see it climb on up to 6000rpm. Are you still running a 6-rib belt or have you moved up to a 8 rib.

Senior SCH Member
    Can you get an upgraded impeller for the sn-89?

I think a 3.25" even with the 6" crank pulley is just baking that impeller shaft.
    What size blower pulley do you recommend for the SN-89 for a 5.0 with a stock crank pulley?

I would keep the Rpms in check by using a 3.75" pulley and it will keep your belt from slipping until you go with a 8 rib pulley setup.