Thread: Problem in upper RPM's

Question Problem in upper RPM's

The senario. 92 Mustang 5.0 LX 5 speed. Stock engine, 19# injectors and stock mass air. The car runs fine under normal operating conditions until I progress into the upper rpm's. Around 4500rpm the engine feels like it shuts down under moderate throttle pressure most noticeable it 2nd and 3rd gear. If I go WOT from 1st to 4th this problem does not persist although the CEL will come on. The CEL comes on and is giving a mass air code. I had the car dyno'd @301hp and 325 torque. Do these #'s seem right for my set up? The guy put a dvom on the mass air and the voltage was maxing out before the engine had topped out. I called ATI about this problem several times but they were no help. I bought a pro-m 75mm bullit blow thru to see if this would cure the problem but it made the car run worse. Poor idle when cold and excessive pinging. I spoke with the guy @ my local speed shop and he recommended 30# injectors and a 73 or 76mm c&l meter. Am I headed in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Also, can someone explain running with the spout disconnected. What advantages/disadvantages to this and what should the base timing now be set at?
    Bernie
    Last edited by PRO50SC; 02-29-2004 at 07:34 PM.

Junior SCH Member crazystang331's Avatar
    You will probably be better off with the pro-m meter. I have had nothing but problems with the c&l meters. I had a 73,76 and an 80mm c&l and they all surged and backfired. I put a 83mm pro-m racing meter on and it drove better then stock. Never surges or backfires runs perfect. I never had a 75mm bullet so i can't tell you how that will run. GOOD LUCK
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/crazystang331 88 MUSTANG LX
    331 SPORTSMAN AFR 185 PROCHARGER D1

Quote Originally Posted by crazystang331
    You will probably be better off with the pro-m meter. I have had nothing but problems with the c&l meters. I had a 73,76 and an 80mm c&l and they all surged and backfired. I put a 83mm pro-m racing meter on and it drove better then stock. Never surges or backfires runs perfect. I never had a 75mm bullet so i can't tell you how that will run. GOOD LUCK
    Thanks, I had a 75mm bullit and it made the car run terrible. I just returned it on Sat.
    92 LX 5.0 Procharged 9lb boost 3 core intercooler
    My Stang Site

Hurst shorty shifter, H pipe Straight thru mufflers 3 inch stainless tips, 3:55 gears Autometer gauges Autometer Phantom Monster Tach/shiftlight, Lightning audio amp and 10" subs in custom sub box, Sony cd head unit, Cervini's cobra r hood and factory style wing, Ford Racing 17 x 8 crome bullitts, Kumo 245/45/17 tires, MSD 6al ignition system, MSD dist. cap, Crane fireball ps 91 coil, Ford Racing 9mm ignition wires, ATI Procharger 9lb boost w/ 3 core intercooler, Polished PA Proformance 3G 130 amp alternator, 255lph Holley fuel pump, Canton Racing aluminum overflow tank, Professional Products Typhoon polished intake, 70 mm throttle body and egr plate, Chrome t-stat housing, Chrome radiator hoses, Ford Racing polished aluminum valve covers, Billet distributor hold down, Misc. chrome parts for underhood accessories, Battery relocate, Optima red top battery, BBK cold air intake

Bernie check your corral PMs.:)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

Quote Originally Posted by 468LC
    Bernie check your corral PMs.:)
    None in there, what's up?

OOPS! was lookin' in the wrong place. Thanks Steve.
    Last edited by PRO50SC; 03-05-2004 at 12:11 AM.
    My Stang Site

Hurst shorty shifter, H pipe Straight thru mufflers 3 inch stainless tips, 3:55 gears Autometer gauges Autometer Phantom Monster Tach/shiftlight, Lightning audio amp and 10" subs in custom sub box, Sony cd head unit, Cervini's cobra r hood and factory style wing, Ford Racing 17 x 8 crome bullitts, Kumo 245/45/17 tires, MSD 6al ignition system, MSD dist. cap, Crane fireball ps 91 coil, Ford Racing 9mm ignition wires, ATI Procharger 9lb boost w/ 3 core intercooler, Polished PA Proformance 3G 130 amp alternator, 255lph Holley fuel pump, Canton Racing aluminum overflow tank, Professional Products Typhoon polished intake, 70 mm throttle body and egr plate, Chrome t-stat housing, Chrome radiator hoses, Ford Racing polished aluminum valve covers, Billet distributor hold down, Misc. chrome parts for underhood accessories, Battery relocate, Optima red top battery, BBK cold air intake

:)

Junior SCH Member

PMs?

Bernie or Steve, I am new here, can you post a link to the corral PMs? I have a problem similiar to Bernie's except in a 96 GT and would like to know what he found. Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkPilot
    Bernie or Steve, I am new here, can you post a link to the corral PMs? I have a problem similiar to Bernie's except in a 96 GT and would like to know what he found. Thanks, Mike
    Mike, I went to 30# injectors and a C&L 76mm mass air and that cured the problem. Had been running the stock 19's, which ATI said would work. Maybe so but not for my car. Good luck!!!
    My Stang Site

Junior SCH Member
    The 42lb injectors and 90mm Lightning MAF are enroute, hope I did not go to far on that one....thanks PRO50SC!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkPilot
    The 42lb injectors and 90mm Lightning MAF are enroute, hope I did not go to far on that one....thanks PRO50SC!
    That might be a little over kill but I don't know your set up. Let us know how it turns out. :D
    My Stang Site