Thread: Vortech mass air meters?? C&L, Pro-M??

Vortech mass air meters?? C&L, Pro-M??

Hello, I just have a question on the Mass Air Meters that I seen on the Vortech website, they start off at 72mm and you can get them for any sized injector. The price is what I really like $110.00; does anyone have any bad experiences with these? Also I know that there is a debate about who makes the better meter PRO-M or C&L, and I think that C&L makes the Vortech meters but I may be wrong. I have been slowly adding parts to install with my Novi and I am now looking for a larger mass air meter. Initially I plan on installing the blower with a by-pass valve set up, the F-150 crank pulley, and a larger mass air meter, on an otherwise stock engine using stock 19#ers and limited bolt-ons, headers, and roller rockers. Eventually (budget permitting) I will go with larger injectors and delete the FMU so I will either have the meter calibrated or just put it on e-bay and get a new one. One other concern of mine is I am at 6200’ of altitude and which means everything needs to run leaner due to the lack of oxygen. Forests dyno run showed him that his car was running really rich when the FMU kicks in, I may have some serious problems running pig rich, so I don’t want a meter that runs richer than normal. I might even have to buy an adjustable FMU if I can’t get the car to run good with the kit provided one.
    91 LX HB 5 speed, 3.08's,BBK shorty headers, 2.5"catted H-Pipe, 2.5" Super Turbo's, Paxton Novi 1000 single belt F-150 crank pulley 2.75 blower pulley, bosch bypass, 255 Walbro, Areomotive FPR, 73MM C&L MAM otherwise stock.

Pro-M or Granatelli would be the only mass air meter I recommend. I had a Granatelli on my car last year and it worked great!

Ian

Pro-M gets my vote for forced induction.

Junior SCH Member
    I see Pro-M has both NA and SC calabrations.
    Do these work well for the intended application?
    My application is SC with N2K with 42's.

The SC meters are 12% richer at WOT. I had mine done that way, and worked great.

Ian

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar

my meter experiences

In my experience, the further away you get from stock injectors, the worse the C&L/Vortech meter will work. Ditto for the Pro-M Bullets unfortunately, they are just not in the same class of signal quality as the 77mm units.

I run an eec-tuner on my ecm, and have hours worth of datalogs on the various functions including MAF and KAM fuel correction. I have run both a 73mm C&L and a Pro-M Bullet - the C&L was run with both 19# and 30# injectors, the Pro-M is cal'd for the 30# injectors. The C&L worked fine on the 19# calibration, but after switching to 30s I could barely get the car to run, mostly way off toward too lean, especially at idle, had to set FP to 52 psi to get it to idle. After I installed the Bullet meter, with the help of the eec-tuner I was able to get it to run at near oem quality by richening the MAF transfer by +8% on the bottom end and +12% on the top end. Based on my experience and Ian's, it might behoove a supercharged owner to try the SC calibration, unless you are going to run a tuner chip or eec-tuner etc., in which case getting the most accurate info possible is the best solution. FWIW the eec-tuner group has had very good luck running the mod-motor Lightning meters with the eec-tuner & 42# injectors. Another good meter you don't hear much about is the black plastic 30# SVO meter. In a nutshell, if you can come up with the extra scratch for a Pro-M 77mm unit, go for it.

Senior SCH Member fanglemeister's Avatar

Quick addition:

the default WOT a/f mixture for the '86-'93 cars is 11.78:1 or 80% of stoich (14.7:1). Throwing on an extra 12% fuel to that is going to make the mixture 68% of 14.7:1 or roughly 10:1, which is why many people don't have good luck making bleeding edge power levels with the SC calibration meters.