Thread: bov question

bov question

what kind of a bov would be best for 7 psi procharger,i bought the turboxs type h, i dont think its working,and the ati is crap.i dont want to use a bypass because bov's sound cooler.
    thanks in advance

just want to add my .02c......when using a bov as opposed to a bypass valve you blow off excess boost into the atmosphere. this air was metered by your MAF so the fuel was added accordingly. the fuel dumps regardless once read but if the air isnt recirculated your will experience a severe rich point once you let off the throttle & the boost is vented. you could experience stumbling on deceleration, worse off all the excess fuel will cause problems in the long run.............i agree the bov's sound cool too but wanted what was best for my engine & performance..........anyways, if you cant hear the bov you may have the hoses hooked up wrong. check the orientation of the hoses on the bov ports. you should hear it & notice a hesitation/surge feel if its not hooked up properly..........
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

Quote Originally Posted by mygt8a4re
    just want to add my .02c......when using a bov as opposed to a bypass valve you blow off excess boost into the atmosphere. this air was metered by your MAF so the fuel was added accordingly. the fuel dumps regardless once read but if the air isnt recirculated your will experience a severe rich point once you let off the throttle & the boost is vented. you could experience stumbling on deceleration, worse off all the excess fuel will cause problems in the long run.............i agree the bov's sound cool too but wanted what was best for my engine & performance..........anyways, if you cant hear the bov you may have the hoses hooked up wrong. check the orientation of the hoses on the bov ports. you should hear it & notice a hesitation/surge feel if its not hooked up properly..........
    on my set up the maf is after the intercoolers, it reads pressurised air, so i can use a bov,and it won't effect anything,i just don't know which one to use
    for 4-7 lbs
    thanks for the response
    armend

doh, didnt realize your MAF configuration....sorry man! is the turboxs "h" model adjustable? sounds like the adjustment is out. i bought greddy bovs for my 300zx twinturbo & had to adjust them to get them to blow off at a desired boost level. they were set to low actually leaking boost early when i purchased them. but i know they can be out of adjustment the other way as well...........sorry again, good luck!

-justin

yea its adjustable,it uses washers to adjust,mine stayed closed at idle so according to the diretions no adjusting is necessery
    thanks

I used to own a supra TT and the best for the money was the hks super sequential bov, sounds awesome as well - they look good too! polished billet aluminum - any turbo site has them - go do a search for mvpmotorsports, they sell a bunch of different ones, including the hksSSbov.
    or you can maybe find a used one on the forums --> www.supraforums.com I would buy the kit, it comes with the needed flange (have to be welded to you pipe - so choose steel or aluminum accordingly) and connecting pipe (1.5" or something like that...)
    Good luck with your project..... stevet
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 03-26-2004 at 09:51 AM.
    1998 S/C'ed cobra coupe - laser red and somewhere in the great state of Tejas.....442rwhp/410rwtq dyno tuned