Thread: sn 92 impeller rpm

Junior SCH Member

sn 92 impeller rpm

I just read a thread that showed me how to figure out impeller speed and I figured out that Iam sitting at around 57000 rpm. Is this Really bad or will the unit stand this for some time ? I get over 7psi from this setup and i drive the truck maybe twice a week. Any ideas on how long shell last ???
    Never enough

SCH Moderator "SN Guru" speedytang's Avatar
    SN92 was rated MAX of 38k rpm. It will last till it breaks.LOL
    I have run many SN units at 55k rpm without problems till you miss a gear and the balls can't keep up and stop spinning around the impeller shaft and dig into it and then it is rebuild time.

Junior SCH Member
    Ok, I geuss Ill take my chances!! And on that note, do you have an idea of what a rebiuld kit costs and also, can I upgrade this 92 to something else while Iam rebuilding it ?
    Never enough

$500 usually gets you the main parts needed for a rebuild. Monday when I get back home I will call Craig at Paradise and find out what I can get for prices.

Junior SCH Member
    Thats greast speedy, thanks for the help sp far ! Will any of these rebuild kits be able to let me spinner up safely to say 50k or are they just not ment for that ?
    Never enough

You can change the clearances on the ball drive races to allow it to spin faster but then it shortens the life of the internals. I have been running mine that way for 50k miles and no problems as of yet and I take mine to 7k rpm at the crank which equals 60k rpm at the supercharger impeller. I do run a forged impeller so that my engine does not eat the metal shavings when it is ready to go. I was thinking about putting a screen in the boost tube when I go racing to stop any internals, I have seen it to many times when those 'A'-'S' Trim Vortechs decide to destroy themselves.

Junior SCH Member
    Thats a good idea( putting a screen inside the boost tube) I think iam gonna do that also..
    Never enough