Thread: pressure before butterfly normal?

Junior SCH Member

pressure before butterfly normal?

i just got a new throttle body its a 70 mm and i noticed a leaking noise coming from the throttle linkage where the throttle shaft goes through the throttle body. This is not my question but while i was trying to diagnose it i noticed something that i was not sure was right the air before the throttle plate or butterfly is pressurized rather than vacuum? is this normal could it have cause the leak that i have in the throttle linkage by blowing the seal the wrong way? I was thinking this could be caused maybe because my bosch bypass has stopped working correctly but this doesnt make sence to me cause i pretty much just got it and i can tell when i hook it up the car runs muych better. pLEAse let me know if this pressurized air at idle is normal. i know for sure it is pressurized because i pulled the cap off the hole for the pcv and it was blowin hard. The guys at pro products just sat there and argued with me that air cant be pressurized when the car is not in boost but i told him the supercharger does blow some air even at idle and the throttle plate is closed so wouldnt there be pressure.

ive never heard of a throttle plate closing so tight that pressure can build. check your throttle plate, is there a hole in it? this lets air by as well as the IAB allowing air to pass betwen the t.b. & manifold........now, i dont get the "air blowing" out of the pcv hole?! especially at idle & no boost present! this sounds awfully wrong to me.......
    the guy at proproducts is right. yes your blower does "blow" trace amounts of air(non compressed) but its almost equivelent to the amount of air movement from the engine pulling air in(vacuum)......i posted cause im very confused of your situation & would like to hear wat you find out wiht your problem...........
    -justin

DSS 306, S-trim, TFS trackheats, TFS trackheat intake, TFS stg 1 cam, Tremec....tons of cooling, suspension, exhaust, ignition, fuel & tuning parts that would take up too much space!

Junior SCH Member
    so you think it could possibly be a messed up iab i was thinking that might be a problem maybe it is sticking or something i will try to clean it when i put the new throttle body on cause the old one was leaking air out the throttle linkage. the i ab might also be not opening because when i set the idle with it unplugged then plug it back in the car doesnt seem to change but then again the car will die sometimes if i try to drive without the iab i dont know i am confused as well.

if you have a problem with the IAB you would have idle problems. if you were leaking air/vacuum at your t.b. you also would have idle problems from an extreme vacuum leak. i reread your original post but cant find exactly what your problem is? if you blew the seal out of your t.b. where the plate shaft goes through you would have major vacuum issues & the car would stumble badly...its rare for a new bypass to just malfunction unless you are pushing it to its boost capable limits. you can eliminate this by disconnecting it alltogether & seeing if whatever problem your having disappears. also check to see that it is oriented in the right direction(in/out)......if you truely blew one of the o-rings out in your t.b. then any problem you are noticeing will deffinately lie there. repalce the t.b. & go from there.............im still confused on your "pressurized" air at idle between the throttle plate & blower outlet........

-justin

Junior SCH Member
    me too i dont know why it would be pressurized i think the only way it could be is if the iab or the bypass wasnt working properly but i am almost positive they are working. the bypass is a bosch and i am pretty sure it is hooked up right cause it works or it always has. The vacuum bung is to the bottom. Also the iab seems to work cause if i disconnect it the car dies when i am driving and i take it out of gear but it wont if it is hooked up. i am gonna try to hook back up my stock throttle body to see if the air is still pressurized. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Junior SCH Member
    well i found out today that the iab or iac is working. i turned the key to on position and i saw it open when it was off the tb. I dont know if you are mistaking pressurized with blowing. its not like high pressure but there is air blowing out rather than sucking in. there is no hole in the throttle plate should i just open it more and adjust the tps. i have a new tb but i am afraid that this one will get the o ring blown out too if i start the car. even if the throttle plate was all the way closed the iac still should let the air by right?

Junior SCH Member
    some one else that can help please offer some advice