Thread: A trim on a 331??

Junior SCH Member

A trim on a 331??

Hey guys,

I have an A trim and its time to rebuild my motor. I want to build a 331 stroker. Can my A trim be pullied for 10 psi and support a 331? I want to get the S trim upgrade but its over 800$ and if I can get by with my little A trim for a while I will hold off on the upgrade for now. Id rather put that 800 toward my new paint job for sure.

Junior SCH Member
    I'm no expert, by far, but I would think that too much pulley on an A trim will overspin the impeller beyond Vortechs recommendation. Seems to me there is a compressor map on their website for this trim and the highest RPM was up around 46 or 48K. Does that cost include the credit they give you for their upgrade program, or do you give them your head unit and another $800?

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckash
    I'm no expert, by far, but I would think that too much pulley on an A trim will overspin the impeller beyond Vortechs recommendation. Seems to me there is a compressor map on their website for this trim and the highest RPM was up around 46 or 48K. Does that cost include the credit they give you for their upgrade program, or do you give them your head unit and another $800?

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply. The deal is that you send them 830.00 and your head unit and they upgrade it for you. I think it used to be cheaper but thats the price now. Looks liek I will pulley the old A trim to 8-9 psi and see what I get. If I dont like the way it runs then Ill give up the 800. Cant hurt to try the A trim first.

If you upgrade inquire on how much the T-Trim upgrade is! ;)
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member
    T trim huh? Isnt that one of those super high output race only blowers? Can I run that on the street? Ill look into it and if its a similar price and its better then what the hell. I might skip the S trim in that case. Thanks for the heads up....

Senior SCH Member
    the "A" trim's max efficiency impeller speed is 40,000..Absolute impeller speed is 45000...U can't up grade from an "A" to a "T"..bearing sizes r different..can only buy outright...But, yes the "T" is a super street blower....The "T" w/fit right into all the "A" "B" or "S" brackets..

I thought that the S and the T shared the same case? But yeah the T is the last step before the race blowers.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Junior SCH Member blownholley50's Avatar
    I have a A-Trim with a 332 stroker, works great, well if i could ever get the car to hook and a tune in it but anyhow. I run a 7" crank and 3" blower all 8 rib. Expected to get 10#'s but with my heads etc im still only pushing 6 on a good day(stock headed car etc would easily see 10++), and if its cold might see 7. This is what vortech says is over spinning but have not had a problem(cross the fingures), i have ran this blower for the last 4-5 years(ran this pulley set up for the last year or more) but keep in mind its not a daily driver and ive only put 3k on the car in the last 3 years. The car is a 10.80-11.0 car in 4500 foot of air. My dyno #'s were low but for pump gas and no knowledge of the tweecer rt yet it was ok-oh yeah and the 21% loss from the C4 tranny- 430rwhp/530rwtq. I have a friend that has the same motor but alum heads and a s-trim pushing 12-13#'s(i have cast iron heads) he dynoed his at 520rwhp/535rwhp, we left the dyno and ran- my new belt slipped like a mofo(got 2-3#'s) and walked away from him like i was running a 12 sec camaro:). Will get a FAST computer system soon so the car should drop even further intot he 10's with the lil ol blower. I think i have some pics of the car here, if not they are in the user rides of www.anythingcars.com under blownholley50 good luck and if u get a new blower get the ys trim:) thats what i was going to get but now going with good computer system 1st!
    1993 LX Mustang, A-Trimmed(6#'s), New full ArtCarr C4 setup, World Sr Cast Heads, F.A.S.T Computer, 72# injectors etc....

Will Be The Fastest A-Trimmed Car, well maybe not??

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blownholley50
    I have a A-Trim with a 332 stroker, works great, well if i could ever get the car to hook and a tune in it but anyhow. I run a 7" crank and 3" blower all 8 rib. Expected to get 10#'s but with my heads etc im still only pushing 6 on a good day(stock headed car etc would easily see 10++), and if its cold might see 7. This is what vortech says is over spinning but have not had a problem(cross the fingures), i have ran this blower for the last 4-5 years(ran this pulley set up for the last year or more) but keep in mind its not a daily driver and ive only put 3k on the car in the last 3 years. The car is a 10.80-11.0 car in 4500 foot of air. My dyno #'s were low but for pump gas and no knowledge of the tweecer rt yet it was ok-oh yeah and the 21% loss from the C4 tranny- 430rwhp/530rwtq. I have a friend that has the same motor but alum heads and a s-trim pushing 12-13#'s(i have cast iron heads) he dynoed his at 520rwhp/535rwhp, we left the dyno and ran- my new belt slipped like a mofo(got 2-3#'s) and walked away from him like i was running a 12 sec camaro:). Will get a FAST computer system soon so the car should drop even further intot he 10's with the lil ol blower. I think i have some pics of the car here, if not they are in the user rides of www.anythingcars.com under blownholley50 good luck and if u get a new blower get the ys trim:) thats what i was going to get but now going with good computer system 1st!

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds great. I am still undecided in which way to go with this new motor. I do have a goal set and that is to go no less than 11.6 in the quarter on a 17" Drag radial. This I must have. My new motor will look like this: a Cobra intake with a ported lower, a Comp XE274HR cam: Adv Dur-274/282 Dur@50- 224/232 Lift-555/565 112 Lobe sep. Ported Windsor Sr. Heads and my little Vortech A trim. Oh yeah, I have an "old school" Crane Intercepter II for tuning. I have a 5 speed GT with a 3:73 gear. My budget will allow me to rebuild my shortblock ( A must, due to a spun bearing) and either upgrade the blower or build a 331 to put under the above top end one or the other, not both.
    Some folks have told me that I should just build another 306 and go with 10:1 comp to make up for the small blower and run it like that. Some say to go S trim and run at least 10+ #'s of boost on a 9:1 306. Then others say to stroke it since its being rebuilt and pulley the A trim like you did. My thing is that I dont like running crazy amounts off boost and peeling head gaskets off the windshield everytime I get on it. Thats why I was looking at using more cubes and less boost.
    Thanks for the info fellas, I need all the help I can get before I spend this money!

Junior SCH Member blownholley50's Avatar
    Sounds about like my cam, pretty close! Im also running World Sr's-cast iron. My motor is a 10:1 so thats really why it likes the low boost. Ive blown 3 sets of head gaskets(2 on old car and one on this one with a tweecer tune:() Im about to get a F,A,S,T computer system within the next couple of weeks so hopefully NO more blown gaskets and get a GREAT tune out of the car! Well good luck!
    1993 LX Mustang, A-Trimmed(6#'s), New full ArtCarr C4 setup, World Sr Cast Heads, F.A.S.T Computer, 72# injectors etc....

Will Be The Fastest A-Trimmed Car, well maybe not??

A trim on a 331

I have a almost brand new 60 trim. it is a t3 set up. I have the headers for it also. Im asking 400 for the turbo. 150 for the headers. If you get both it would be 500. This is not a ebay knock off. give me a call or email me. 303-725-2251 name is cody just going with a bigger set up