Thread: bucking, dying after a trim install

Junior SCH Member

bucking, dying after a trim install

I just put an a trim on my friends car, its a 91 GT with full MAC exhaust, an F cam, trickflow intake, Pro M MAF, 24# injectors, 8:1 FMU. The problem is that cruising at part throttle it bucks, and when its cold it dies until warmed up. the car never did either of these things before the install. It smells pretty rich, could that be the problem? It idles at around 900, but if you let it sit the idle slowly goes down like its loading up. any ideas would help, thanks!!

Junior SCH Member
    I'll just give my first impressions here. Is there a fuel pressure gauge installed, if so how much fuel pressure at idle and under boost? If not, install a fuel pressure gauge before anything else. Are all the vacuum hoses tight and connected properly? A vacuum/boost gauge will help here, my initial problem was that I didn't know how much vacuum at idle was normal, I was reading 10 inches until I found the leak - then it went to 14 inches.

Unmetered air is an important issue, any exhaust leaks, hose leaks, or vacuum leaks will wreak havoc on driveability.

One other thing to consider would be to post this question under the S or SQ forum, as those get more use and your problem wouldn't necessarily be A trim specific.