Thread: Vortech V-2 SQ on stock motor?

Junior SCH Member

Vortech V-2 SQ on stock motor?

Hey all, I'm new here, and I've got some questions! I was looking at the vortech V-2 SQ set up without the intercooler. What I am wondering is if I stick with running the low amount of boost, will my stock motor/trans/rearend hold up ok? I have a 03 GT. My stang is a daily driver and cant risk my ride breaking down on me after a few thousand miles! I believe the kit is made to run on a stock motor....but will it last?? I have a few bolt on's right now, and am putting close to 260 to the wheels....so with the s/c I'm estimating around 360 to the wheels. I just need to know if the stock motor and other drivetrain parts will hold up! and for how long?? Any info will be help! The more the better! Also one last thing...I know the kit comes with "everything" I need, but is there anything else I should get with it? thanks!

chris

Your stock motor should be fine for the 8lb kit... you can probably even run 10lbs... as far as the trans and rear end,, they should be strong enough, but if you start really beating them up, or use stickey tires, they will see more abuse, and possibly premature failue... Lee

Junior SCH Member
    is anyone one else here runnning this kit on a stock motor? or even similar boost on a stock motor 6-8psi? Hows it holding up?

Junior SCH Member
    is no one out there??!

I don't have one, but as long as it is tuned up right, and you don't race all the time, it should be just fine.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    you will be fine, i have a few friends with them on their dd and up to 12 lbs with no issues.
    --
    93 GT

Junior SCH Member
    awesome thats what I wanted to hear.....but I changed my mind about the v2-sq, I was reading up on the procharger p600b and just seems like a better set up with the 2core intercooler included. thanks for all the info! also does anyone know where to get the s/c's cheap new/used...?

Senior SCH Member
    procharger doesn't offer the p600 for 99up 4.6..U need to consider p1sc..Same boost option or more if desired w/p1sc..
    Last edited by midnight; 03-18-2004 at 01:05 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silver4.6
    is anyone one else here runnning this kit on a stock motor? or even similar boost on a stock motor 6-8psi? Hows it holding up?
    I have been running this set up for two years now...no problems yet (knock on wood) Did have to do some things to the suspension (spun alot) But if you take care of it and don't constantly keep your foot in it should have no problems
    1997 Cobra #3843
    Born 3/18/97
    2-chamber flowmasters cat-back
    Vortech S/C V2
    MSD DIS-4
    Auto Meter Fuel Pressure & Boost Gauge
    FMS 4:10
    Autologic Chip
    Kenny Brown Subs
    MM Caster/Camber Plates
    Eibach Pro Kit
    401 RWHP

Junior SCH Member
    The Procharger Does have Advantages and Disadvatages Compared to Vortech, Get what every you like and choise it Wisely, Weight them choices out allot, I also know alott of people running the 10 Pounds and none with Problems yet with and without coolers (but if you are not using a S/C, get Guades and watch them closely, just remember you need to controll the foot and not to the floor all the time)... Personally I shopped for a while and just found that the Vortech is a better all around system... The Procharger has problems with Oil Leaking on the lower seal (and you have to use there oil) and I know that they need to be rebuilt more often. But its almost the same.

-Ebay and the Corral.net are great places to buy S/C's, just Becareful and pick them up if needed instead of delevery...

-ZyX2323