Thread: Dry Ice

Junior SCH Member

Dry Ice

Anyone tried dry ice in their cooler tank?

I have heard of folks wanting to. I know none of the sanctioning bodies will alow it. I know a guy who was going to try it with alcohol.....but it gassed off way to much.

Senior SCH Member
    Dry ice is liquid carbon dioxide. When it evaporates it tuns into a gas and goes away. It is so cold it will freeze the water you have in the tank (ice can't go through the pump) and when the dry ice is gone you will have nothing left in the system. Dry ice is a bad idea (IMHO).

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itlkick
    Dry ice is liquid carbon dioxide. When it evaporates it tuns into a gas and goes away. It is so cold it will freeze the water you have in the tank (ice can't go through the pump) and when the dry ice is gone you will have nothing left in the system. Dry ice is a bad idea (IMHO).

what if you used Anti-Freeze coolant instead of water?

Junior SCH Member
    Are you serious? Never heard of that before.

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonBlown306
    what if you used Anti-Freeze coolant instead of water?
    Anti-freeze would not be any better than just water. Besides, with water you can add ice. If you don't want to worry about adding ice and want a liquid that won't freeze and cools better than water use Evans NPG-R coolant.

http://www.evanscooling.com/main27.htm

Senior SCH Member
    I actually found a better link for the NPG-R coolant.

Hmmm.... Looks like the links don't work.

Go to the main site - click on High Performance - then News - the second link is for NPG-R.

SCH Member
    ok, taken from that link...

"WILL NOT FREEZE"

so... could you use this NPG-R coolant w/ dry ice?

Senior SCH Member
    LOL!

It doesn't freeze but it gets very thick at around -30. Thick enough I don't think it would pump very well. That would be a good question for them though - call and ask. Let me know what you find out....

SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itlkick
    LOL!

It doesn't freeze but it gets very thick at around -30. Thick enough I don't think it would pump very well. That would be a good question for them though - call and ask. Let me know what you find out....

lol...im just curious is all. But not enough to call and sit on the phone with them about it. :D

my next motor is gonna be a carb'd/boost setup, just not sure if im gonna use a air/water cooler or no cooler at all.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxtonBlown306
    lol...im just curious is all. But not enough to call and sit on the phone with them about it. :D

my next motor is gonna be a carb'd/boost setup, just not sure if im gonna use a air/water cooler or no cooler at all.

Dry ice becomes a HARMFUL gas inside the container. I would not use dry ice, buy a few bags of ice or make your own.