Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
March issue of 5.0: Paxton vs Vortech vs Procharger

Thread: March issue of 5.0: Paxton vs Vortech vs Procharger

March issue of 5.0: Paxton vs Vortech vs Procharger

Interesting article in the latest 5.0 magazine where they dyno test our favourite blower vs Vortech and Procharger. All 3 are set up as dictated by NMRA "Real Street" rules. I've scanned in the relevant stuff for all of you to comb over. Although the Paxton didn't make the most average HP, it did make the most peak power (albeit 1.2 hp!) It's interesting to note how close all three are in terms of power, but there are a couple things worth mentioning about the good old Paxton. Check out the figures for boost temp. The Paxton runs cooler than both the Procharger and Vortech. At some points on the rpm scale the difference is as much as 20 degrees at the upper rpm levels, but on the whole, the Paxton averages lower temps across the entire RPM range. I think this says a lot for the Novi's efficiency.
    :D

Great info! Thanks

Ian

HELL YES! They failed to mention that the procharger will probably crap its' seals out and that the s-trim won't ever go low 9's or hi 8's. Chalk one up to paxton.

Brandon

Junior SCH Member

Temperatures.....

One thing that was also missing from the article was the fact that the oil temperature for the oil going through the "oil fed" blowers was artificially maintained at 120 deg which kept the blowers artificially cool. Also, the temperature in the dyno cell was much warmer when the Procharger was tested. Keep in mind that the Procharger, down 3 lbs of boost was within .5mph of the other blowers all year last year....

:)

Michael Freedman

To be thorough, I've scanned and added in the temperature debate to my original post.

Senior SCH Member
    Was that 0.5 mph with the 4.5" pulley or with the 4.25" pulley? That is the million dollar question as I didn't see one Procharger running the 4.5" pulley. I will admit, I didn't see what Dezotel was running.

I did happen to notice that procharger did get the shaft with the cell tempeture. Also are you referring to the two engine oil feed blowers? Just out of curiosity, what kinda temp do the p1's see oil wise? I'm not bashing vortec or procharger, just supporting what I have. :) I actually really like the procharger setups, but it just seemed that an f1 would have cost more than the novi at the time of my purchase. Man I wish I could afford to race real street. My car fits the bill perfect, but I just don't have the money for the all out shortblock, amongst the other trick stuff.

Brandon

Senior SCH Member
    I won't have an all out short block for the first race. I am throwing the 66k stocker back in that I used all last year. It went 10.6 at 128mph without really leaning on it.

I do have a new short block in the works using a Dart block, but you can definitely come out and have some fun.

Come to a race and you will learn more then you can in a year on the web.
    Chris
    9.05@152 with a T-Trim on BFG Drag Radials
    NMCA SR6381

Well, I guess I'll have to see what I can do. Right now the car is sporting a very stock long block. Maybe I can toss some trick flow gear on the old but happy shortblock and come play. I would have to come up with a cage, rear control arms, a new diff, the heads and intake that I mentioned and some new mufflers. I would hate to see the 3" borla's go. (sniff sniff). Ow, I almost forgot a towing setup. LOL. Actually I'm buying a truck and trailer in the next couple months so that is a non issue. But that means a little less funding for the car. Wow did this turn into a spilling of my guts. I really plan on trying to attend the nmra race in st. louie. World ford too.

I'm just affraid if I even went one round I would be tottally hooked. That could be bad. Thanks Chris, you got the gears turning in the old knoggin. I think I would probably be the youngest in real street at the ripe age of 22. HMMM. I have a spare low mile short block too. HMMM. :)

Brandon

Senior SCH Member
    I think there was a guy running last year around 18.

Wow that's awsome. I wonder if he was self funnded? Not that it really matters, just out of curiosity.

Brandon

Brandon, where do you live? You mentioned running in St. Louis. I live in the area.
    -------------
    01 GT with Novi1000

I'm in Oklahoma city, I have a couple of friends in st. louis so I always try to make it up there for an event.
    brandon