Thread: Belt routing for a Vortech SQ trim car

Senior SCH Member

Belt routing for a Vortech SQ trim car

I am lookin for belt length and routing on a vortech SQ trim car. I run the stock w/p pulley,PS,smog and a 3g PA performance alt, and stock SQ trim crank pulley on a 90 mustang. Attached is the belt routing I use. Thanks also if someone knows the stock SQ trim belt size as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1990 GT Convertible

The only way to get the proper length belt would be to route a piece of string the way the belt routes around the pullies. Then measure the string end to end. That will give you a very close indication of the size belt you need. You might have to buy a few belts, like 1/2 inch longer and 1/2 inch shorter to get the exact size you need.

As far as the blower belt goes, the stock belt for my s-trim (which is probably the same as your SQ) is 54.5 inches long. The belt is made by Dayco and the part# is

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks I may have to do the string method I guess. Was hoping for a # from someone w/a similiar set up. Thanks again
    1990 GT Convertible

The stock belt should still fit. You may be having trouble as the routing you have drawn above is not as per Ford or Vortech instruction. The belt should be routed to the water pump between the alternator and the crank pulleys (Vortech configuration) as it would be in stock form between the smog and crank pulleys.
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

Senior SCH Member
    Thanks Ill have to check out my vortech manual and see if it shows the belt routing. Its tough to understand the routing w/o a pic. Thanks
    1990 GT Convertible

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tstang
    Thanks Ill have to check out my vortech manual and see if it shows the belt routing. Its tough to understand the routing w/o a pic. Thanks
    The manual has a pictoral diagram...

Senior SCH Member
    I checked the manual I actually drew it wrong but I had it done to the Vortech specs. It took a 91" belt. Maybe the 3g alt pulley made the difference.
    1990 GT Convertible