Thread: fuel pressure question

Senior SCH Member

fuel pressure question

Hey guys, just picked the car up yesterday, but it is running rich, 43psi with the vacuum on using autometer electric fuel gauge, this is at idle, or easy cruising. With my setup, check sig, where should I set the fuel pressure at, I was thinking 39psi with vacuum off. If I start the car, she starts fine, but if I puke it out, its hard to start
    Thanks
    93 Black coupe, JE Pistons, Cut and Polished Crank 10/10 Bearings, Ported Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 42lb Injectors, Pro M 80mm Mass Air
    Accufab 75mm Throttle Body, Holley Systemax Intake, BBK Adjustable Fuel Regulator, 130 amp alternator
    1.7 Ford Motorsport Roller Rockers, Ford Motorsport E303 Cam,Aluminum Radiator, Electric Fan, MSD 6AL Ignition- MSD 6BTM Boost Retard
    MSD Coil 90/10 Front Shocks,
    50/50 Rear Shocks, 3.55 Gears,
    BBK Long Tube Headers, SouthSide Machine Lift Bars, Sub Frame Connectors, Built T-5 with Cobra Gearset 3:35, 255lph Fuel Pump
    T-Rex inline fuel pump
    Vortech S trim Supercharger,Vortech Aftercooler, Flowmaster CatBack Exhaust, Optima battery relocated
    Corbeau CR1 Racing Seats Cervini Cowl/Ram Air hood ,17" Cobra R wheels

That is really high. I'm sure if you popped the vac line off while it was running, the fuel psi would be alot higher than 43. Set the fuel pressure to 40 psi with the vac line off, then get it to a dyno and have it tuned.

Senior SCH Member
    Thats what I thought also, thanks Darin Its also has an adjustable fmu on it also, would like to do a dyno tune, but there are none in the area, just dynos, but I can adjust the fuel pressure at the very least, and try to keep the fuel curve in 11.3:1 area, would like to keep it on the conservative side
    93 Black coupe, JE Pistons, Cut and Polished Crank 10/10 Bearings, Ported Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 42lb Injectors, Pro M 80mm Mass Air
    Accufab 75mm Throttle Body, Holley Systemax Intake, BBK Adjustable Fuel Regulator, 130 amp alternator
    1.7 Ford Motorsport Roller Rockers, Ford Motorsport E303 Cam,Aluminum Radiator, Electric Fan, MSD 6AL Ignition- MSD 6BTM Boost Retard
    BBK Long Tube Headers, SouthSide Machine Lift Bars, Sub Frame Connectors, Built T-5 with Cobra Gearset 3:35, 255lph Fuel Pump
    T-Rex inline fuel pump
    Vortech S trim Supercharger,Vortech Aftercooler, Flowmaster CatBack Exhaust, Optima battery relocated

I know with mine set at 39 psi with the vac line off, it was really rich. That was with an S-trim, 42's 80mm Pro-m and a stock motor w/b-cam and 1.7's The kicker was I am using c-16 race fuel from VP which is 117 octane.

Senior SCH Member
    what would 39psi with vacuum off equal with vacuum on? Having trouble getting it below 43psi with vacuum off, maybe a vacuum leak?
    Thanks
    T-Rex inline fuel pump

fuel pressure should drop when you use the adjuster on the FPR. 39psi with the vac line off should equal approx 30-32 psi with the vac line on at idle.

Senior SCH Member
    I kept unscrewing the regulator, but it barely dropped??? what would cause that? maybe a vacuum leak? thanks for the help
    Greg
    T-Rex inline fuel pump

Junior SCH Member
    I have an S trim 7 crank 3.33 blower pulley 36lb injectors 155lph intank running 45 psi w/vac line off. GTp heads ported performer 5.0 intake upper and lower ported shorty h pipe 80mm maf 65 mm t/b. Do I need more pressure bigger pump or FMU.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92rohcp
    I have an S trim 7 crank 3.33 blower pulley 36lb injectors 155lph intank running 45 psi w/vac line off. GTp heads ported performer 5.0 intake upper and lower ported shorty h pipe 80mm maf 65 mm t/b. Do I need more pressure bigger pump or FMU.
    155lph pump running 36's? This seems pretty risky. You need to get a 255 lph high pressure pump in the tank and probably an FMU calibrated for the 36's.

Junior SCH Member
    I was thinking the same with upgrading the intank and FMU.
    thanks