Thread: which carb to use

Junior SCH Member

Question which carb to use

My engine build has just been completed and I need to know which carb and what size may best suite my application. 383 sbc, dart pro 1 215 alum match ported int & ext, JE inverted dome, 8.8 to 1 compression, super victor intake, and procharger d1-sc 10 lb boost non-intercooled. I'm thinking about an 850 mighty demon blower carb. could this be to much carb or not enough.
    Last edited by scott77711; 03-22-2004 at 09:00 PM.

Junior SCH Member
    Hey scott, how goes it? Thought I would give you my opinion. I have a 1981 Camaro with a 406 tfs 23deg. heads, 9.0:1 compression, rpm air gap all port matched, JE dish pistons and 5.7 H beam rods w/ 4340 crank and a comp xe cam. I built it for the ATI P1SC and went with the Mighty demon 750 and all I have to say is it kicks ***. I think the 850 might be a little much, my 750 is leaving me with adequate room for the supercharger and may be a better choice for you as well. My motor alone dynoed (engine) @ 487 HP and 513 lb ft of torque. Next is the P1SC. I think the Mighty Demon is the best choice though. awesome tuneability and driveability. Just my two cents. Michael.

Junior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Z28
    Hey scott, how goes it? Thought I would give you my opinion. I have a 1981 Camaro with a 406 tfs 23deg. heads, 9.0:1 compression, rpm air gap all port matched, JE dish pistons and 5.7 H beam rods w/ 4340 crank and a comp xe cam. I built it for the ATI P1SC and went with the Mighty demon 750 and all I have to say is it kicks ***. I think the 850 might be a little much, my 750 is leaving me with adequate room for the supercharger and may be a better choice for you as well. My motor alone dynoed (engine) @ 487 HP and 513 lb ft of torque. Next is the P1SC. I think the Mighty Demon is the best choice though. awesome tuneability and driveability. Just my two cents. Michael.

Junior SCH Member
    Hey Michael,
    Thanks for the reply. I got my motor complete and installed. I ended up using my 750 holley after changing out my floats and jets. The car runs fine with this setup but tends to run a bit rich @ idol and possibly @ top end. The reason I say this is due to the fact that I have not run the motor with full timing. I was afraid of detonation. The car seemed to be starving for fuel @5000 rpm so I moved the boost timing reference from 3 degrees to about 2 degrees and made some runs. What a huge difference this made. Actually It pulled so hard from 5000 to 5800 rpm when shifting from 1st to 2nd the tranny exploded. oops anyway I thought this might happen so I got the tremec TKO 600 5speed which will be hear sometime this week. Back to the carb issue Im buying A heavily modified 800cfm holley through The Carb Shop shortly which will help with performance and the rich idol.

Junior SCH Member
    Good deal Scott.
    Sorry to hear about the tranny but if its going to go, there is not better way than having too much power (no such thing). Did you have your choke horn milled off your carb? And if your getting one from the carb shop, see if you can get the billet pieces, or use a mighty demon or a HP ultra series holley as they also have the billet base plate and metering blocks. There is a huge diff. in the quality. Plus they dont have choke horns on them to bugger up air flow with the blow through design. How much boost are you running and with what s/c? Im planning on starting with about 8lbs. and going from there. Hoping for about 750hp at the engine. Im running 8lbs on my 355 LT1 and pulled 610 @ the engine w/ a P600b and intercooler. Might try 10psi later.