Thread: Thanks to Shawn Ellis from SoCalDiablo!

Junior SCH Member

Thanks to Shawn Ellis from SoCalDiablo!

For those that followed my last debacle on BON with "tuner X" as I'll call him, you can understand how upset I was, when I left their facility with 22 less horsepower than my JMS mail order chip delivered, and other problems, and 475 less dollars in my pocket, even though I supplied the chip. If you want to know who "tuner X" is, check out my thread on blueovalnews.com
    Tuner X threw out a bad vibe the whole time I was there, and half the time I asked him a question, I was totally blown off and ignored. He hasnt responded to my complaints. Tuner X ran my car up to redline with my A/F in the 14's, and didnt bother to shut down any time it was getting hairy. There were some runs in the high 13's as well. I walked in with 470rwhp and out with 448 and less power across the board...at 13.5 psi. WEAK!
    When I asked why my numbers were low, I really didnt get an answer. He just said, "but look. I straightened out your fuel curve!" My fuel curve was rich and safe beforehand. he spent most of the time smoking and ****ing around. He said he was waiting inbetween runs to let the blower cool down. Like half an hour at a time. He said he normally throws a wet rag on the blower to cool it quicker. I thought to myself, but didnt say anything outloud, "why arent you putting a wet rag on it now?" Its cause he was trying to milk out the $150 an hour dyno time.
    At superior, where I just tuned with shaun, I had a much better experience. I didnt know what MAF I had for sure. He figured it out and told me I had a 90mm LMAF. I thought I had an 80. He told me I had the wrong plugs. They are 1 step colder than stock, and I need 2 ranges colder to get more safe timing in it. he handed me a set of plugs and said "just pay me for them whenever you can" He told me what he was doing and why, and whats wrong here and whats wrong there, and what numbers we could hit if I changed the fuel pump, and changed the plugs, and did this or that. The guy communicated with me, and didnt treat me like I wasnt a member of the cool club, like tuner X. This alone was worth alot. I wasnt half as freaked out about blowing my motor as I was at the last place.
    So with 2 psi less boost, at 11.5ish psi, I made 483rwhp, with a slipping belt (slipping from 5k to redline), obviously, and 12.0 A/F, and 14 degrees total timing. With the colder plugs and fixing my belt issue, I can get more timing and hit that 500rwhp mark, even with my 4.56 gears that are sucking up the power like no man's business. Shaun's gains across the board were significant. His peak torque was 390 as opposed to the other guys 376. The difference in hp at 6500 is 30, and at 6800, about 40. The average torque gain all over is about 25ft. lbs. My bucking issues are gone, and he even gave me advise regarding a better way to hose up my dual bypasses, to improve driveability.
    This guy is top notch and will get all my business from here on out. There was a guy there who had just driven from the bay area on 2 hours sleep, just to have Shaun tune his car. he must be doing something right.

His SN on corral and socaldiablo.com is onerichrunner.
    99BlackCobraCoupe
    ------------------------------
    Novi 1000
    Paxton Intercooler
    Lots of crap
    No tune yet

Truely sucks when you pay a premium and get crap for service. Glad that you found another tuner. When you make 500, that'll put it at three confirmed Novi 1000 users to crest that mark. Keep us updated!!!!

And Congrats!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th