Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Car misses
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car misses

Car misses

Hey I have missing problems, and when i get on it, it blows black smoke. At WOT it runs great! The car was tuned and everything. Byron (the man who tuned it) said it is ignition. should I replace this? The car did not miss before, so Im at a loss now. Thanks.

Do you know what type and what gap your plugs are? Anything in the cars ignition changed?

The black smoke is from running rich, WOT works well as all sensors are ignored.

Ian

Originally posted by novipower
    Do you know what type and what gap your plugs are? Anything in the cars ignition changed?

The black smoke is from running rich, WOT works well as all sensors are ignored.

Ian
    Nothing was changed on ignition. I just swapped the coil, and its the same Im looking at the msd box, do I really need the MSD AL? or could I get away with a lower one?
    Could this missing be a mass air problem?

As I said earlier, you need a box with boost retard capability which would mean getting either a Crane HI-6TRC or a MSD 6BTM. You have to have some form of timing retard capability on a supercharged car and you either do it with one of these boxes, or you do it with programming as is the case with a Mustang if you have a Crane Interceptor, PMS, or a chip. Odds are your miss is being caused by an inadequate ignition system if everything else like the plugs and wires are OK.

Senior SCH Member
    ok what does WOT mean?

Wide Open Throttle

Senior SCH Member
    easy enough lol:bonk:

Senior SCH Member
    check your plug gap.generally should not be over .035 w/high boost, and sometimes lower than that.

Senior SCH Member
    so when running boost you should have the plugs gapped at .o35 not .054?

Yes,

Your plugs should be gapped at btween .30 an .035 in a supercharged application.

What can happen is when you come into boost the forced air will blow out the spark.

I had this prob with my car so I narrowed the gap and added a MSD-6BTM.
    1993 notch, 357W forged pistons 9.2-1 comp,Vortech S-trim 3" / 8" pullies, AFR 185 heads, Trick Flow R intake, Anderson B451 cam, PMAS 80mm, 06 PMS, 60# injectors, 3.55 gears and PA SC C4, Dual Walbro fuel system. Best ET 10.35 @ 135mph

Senior SCH Member
    when the spark gets blown out can that be mistaken for detonation? my car jerks at about 5,000 rpms,,then i shift it right away...

well its sounds completly diff.

When detonation occurs you willl hear a pinging sound from your engine.

When spark blowout occurs you car will misfire high rpm and it will sound like you are hitting a rev limiter, and feel like it.

My car started to do it at 5000 rpm aswell

Senior SCH Member
    im not getting a pinging sound...what mine does is like it just dies noting there.like it dies then comes back then dies again...like if you give it gas and nothing happens,,but no pinging sound though ,,only when timing is to high it pings ..so you think it might just be my plugs are gapped to far?

Senior SCH Member
    well i went to the autolite heat range of 23 and gapped at .035 and car runs pefectly..thanks

23's are a good choice, that is what many in here run. I ran them and had success, got rid of my spark blowout also.