Thread: 8" may be in business

8" may be in business

Well after letting the LX sit for a month because I got tired of going to the machine shop, I threw the F-150 crank pulley back on it Thurs night and took the car to work Friday. Just didn't feel like it used to, especially with the 2.75" gone. So I took the 8" back to the machine shop today and had them take a little off the back lip of the pulley. I got home, tore the front apart again and threw the 8" on. Started the car and it seemed to sound A LOT better than it used to. Still seems I can hear the 2 pulley's rub from time to time. Doesn't sound too bad. Debating whether I should take her for a ride tomorrow, or take the pulley off AGAIN and go back to the machine shop for the 5th time. Whats the worst than can happen with an occasional rub of the water pump pulley and the crank? I have already had the lip on the Cobra w/p pulley taken off. Any suggestions are appreciated. I just want to get this running right, take it out and see what kind of boost I get. Now that we have a dyno here in town, once this thing is done, I will go get it tuned in.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!
    LX = 13.47 @ 102.49, 1.80 60', at 6900' DA
    Cobra = 12.82 @ 109.25, 1.98 60' at 5400' DA

I would take it to the machine shop and have them make it 7.75 if possible. You do not want any pulleys rubbing together. Maybe you can get the water pump fixed up?

Ian

Chris, I'm still bewildered as to why you ran into all these problems while others were good to go.

Have you ever actually had that pulley measured to see if it's 8"??? Maybe ASP screwed up and it's actually slightly larger???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

You know Sean, I never thought to measure it when I got it. Just figured it was 8". I honestly think it has something to do with this Stewart Water Pump I put on the car. I figured while I had that timing chain cover off, I would throw it on it. That may be my problem, but it was such a pain in the butt to put it on with the S/C bracket in place, I don't dare try to change it out. They said they took 1/16th of an inch off the back lip this last time. The previous times they just milled an angle on the back lip to see if they could get it out of the way.
    Had I not just installed my Steeda Tri-Ax and my CAI on the Cobra, I would have taken the LX to work tomorrow. Have to try out the new toys :D I will drive the LX this weekend and let you guys know.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Have fun this w/e, hope you get this mess worked out. As for me, I haven't had the time to put a wrench to the car all friggin' week School was a killer this week, been running on 4-5 hours a sleep a night.
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....

I feel for you on the 4-5 hours of sleep. I have been staying up till about 1am since my son was born to take care of him if he wakes up. Told the wife after 1 he belongs to her. With him teething for the past month its been some long nights. He pretty much started sleeping through the night at 2 months, but the past month has been murder. I am back up before 6am to go to work. Seems between the 2 cars, him, and the wife, I have little time! I don't know how you do it with 3 kids!
    It rained today, and is supposed to rain through the weekend this is the desert, its not supposed to rain! As soon as it lets up I will take the LX out and see how it runs. Anybody recommend a fuel pressure? I am sitting about 45psi right now with the F-150 and the previous 2.75" pulley. I thought about bumping it up to 50psi and seeing how that works. I am running 30lbs injectors.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Ahh, the good old teething, man I don't miss that one bit, lol.

As far as f/p goes always better to start high and then dial it back down then the reverse, lol. As far as a difinitive pressure, no clue you just gotta see what your car responds to best.

Wait for the terrible twos lol it will make teething look like a walk in the park.:)
    Steve
    1996 Acura Integra GSR

05 Pissat TDI

99 F250 PSD CC SB 6spd 4x4.....89LX Notch, 429Big Block(Rolling chassis).

I'm actually looking forward to when he is close to 2! People say to enjoy these times, but I can't enjoy the crying, the screaming, and everything else because he can't tell me whats wrong. At least when he is 2, he will understand what I am saying for the most part, and I will kind of understand him. He will know what a swat on the butt means, so I can deal with him getting into crap! Afterall, daddy got his butt whipped plenty of times as a kid, why should mine not get to enjoy that experience!? :D

The weather is half decent, so I think I am going to take the car out and see what happens.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!

Ok, just got back from a quick joy ride. I can still barely hear the pullies rubbing, nothing another mill down won't take car of. This was the first time they touched the height of the pulley lip for the 8". They said they took a 1/16th off, so I will see if they will take the same off this time. Hoepfully the belt will still stay on.

I got on it twice because I didn't want to chance the 2 pulley's causing too much friction between the two. I saw roughly 9psi at about 5500rpm's. Once I get the pulley fixed for good, I will take a friend with and have him watch the gauge for me so I can watch the tach since I don;t have a shift light in the car. I am guessing I will see about 10psi, which is what I was expecting. Remember, I am at 4,100'. It wrinkled the ET Streets for me again :D I love seeing the wrinkles in the sidewalls when I park it.

Chris
    Elevation kills boost!