Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I have issues

Thread: I have issues

Senior SCH Member

I have issues

Three of them actually (unfortunately somewhat long):

1) I had a new header gasket and intake gasket installed. Prior to this, the car was throwing CE when downshifting, and leaking some oil. Now the oil leak is solved, and the exhaust is sealed. BUT...the car just doesn't run as well. It kicks and bucks like a bronco when cold; and when warmed up, it still sputters some. It didn't do this before. Could fixing the intake gasket change my air:fuel to the point where I now need a new tune (assuming the gasket was bad when first installed since the leak has always been there since having the engine built)?

2) I had a problem with blowing the dipstick (and oil) out under boost. Many of you suggested replacing the breather that had been removed. I did this. Now I blow out the dipstick (not as far), and oil comes out the breather. What next?

3) My monster tach has always read about 5400 when my 6AL chip (6K) kicks in. I was told that it just wasn’t able to keep up with the engine revs (it was being fed by the coil). But I installed a 2-step this weekend, and connected the tach to the 6AL directly. For module (step) 2, I’m using an adjustable module (3K to 5200). The tach has no problem keeping up with any of the settings on the adjustable module, and is dead on. But it still reads 5400 at the top end when the limiter kicks in. Could I have received a mislabeled chip (Doug – you and Greg both thought I was short shifting at the track, but when I increased the tach just 200 rpm I was bouncing off the limiter). I know the fix here might be easy – just get another 6K chip and see what happens. But have any of you ever had a similar problem?
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)
    '88 GT Hatchback (Fun squared)

1. This really sounds MAF related. Is it possible you have a vacuum leak?
    2. I struggled with this myself last year. I'm going to run a semi elaborate evac setup but I do realize you live in Cali. How do you have your PCV setup??
    3. Valve float???
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Senior SCH Member
    1. Vacuum leak is possible. I have to learn how to find the leak though.
    2. Stock PCV. Open to suggestions.
    3. No - definitely hitting the limiter, just seems like it happens too early. The engine only has ~ 3K on it

That may be the briefest post ever for me
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)

the stock pcv can be the oil problem under boost and a vacuum leak at the same time if you think about it david. Do a search for the turbo coupe or SVO PCV setup. That should help you. I didn't run any PCV and I'm pretty sure thats what wore my rings real quick like.
    89 Coupe with parts stacked inside of it and about 30#'s of dust on it with no end in sight. :weird:

Although I am collecting parts for a 12.5:1 393 :D

Those chips are known to go bad from time to time...just replace it with another and see if that solves the problem :)
    Eric

1990 Mustang GT
    9.20 @151.18

Check out this forum for AOD's/C4's: Click Click Racing Forums
    My Homepage

Senior SCH Member
    Quote Originally Posted by regattacoupe
    the stock pcv can be the oil problem under boost and a vacuum leak at the same time if you think about it david. Do a search for the turbo coupe or SVO PCV setup. That should help you. I didn't run any PCV and I'm pretty sure thats what wore my rings real quick like.
    After reading threads till my eyes bled, I ordered two PCV valves - one from Ford (Turbocoupe if I remember right), the other for a Toyota Supra turbo. I'll try the Ford version first, and if it solves the problem, then great. Otherwise I'll try out the Toyota.

When I retorqued my headers this morning, I noticed that oil had been sucked into the housing between the S/C and the MAF. I suspect that a soiled MAF may be part of my problem, but I want to stop the blowbye before taking the time to clean it. I was able to improve performance by removing the breather and putting a sealed cap in its place (I'd rather blow oil out the dipstick than into the S/C inlet). Apparently unmetered air is part of the problem.

Psycho car pulled a new one on me today. Radio has been working intermitently lately; I discovered I can make it start working again by powering down the window :D Looks like I've got a loose wire to track down if I want to continue using it.
    David

'03 Mach 1 (Fun)