Thread: Smog pump = KABOOM!

Junior SCH Member

Smog pump = KABOOM!

Well, the fun didn't last too long.

My smog pump locked up on me today, and i'm weighing the choice of a new one, or bypass altogether.

I live in TN, and there is an emissions inspection I must pass. The only inspection given is a sniffer in the tail pipe.

Can I pass without a smog pump? The car ran very clean three weeks ago at its last inspection.

Anyone had this same problem, or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan

Senior SCH Member

*O*U*C*H*

I feel your pain. When my 91 LX was n/a I had the smog pump still on it, and I was coming back from a trip from El Paso, Tx and was crusing like a cool mofo... Yeah... 75 miles away from San Antonio (my destination) I see the"red light of death" (the battery light) and I smell a very ugly odor, along with hearing a NASTY screatching sound coming from under my hood. The temp went up, all madness came about and my belt was FUBAR'd!!!!

I bypassed it, but if the smog pump on my cobra ever gives out (knock on MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR WOOD!!! LoL) I will replace it just to have it be a little more emissions friendly I suppose.

What are leaning towards doing alan?

-Chris
    -Chris

1991 Ford Mustang LX Sport 5.0
    Goliath
    (Novi 1000/Nitrous Works Powered)
    R.I.P. its been fun friend!

1993 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra #4549
    No Name Yet...
    (Vortech S-Trim Powered!)

Senior SCH Member
    i was playing with a lighting once when mine finally took a poop... i shifted to second and the car just died. eventually the belt broke and i luckily wasn't too far from home.

id replace it but the part is pretty pricey
    --
    93 GT

I actually rebuilt mine before it happened ;)

If you tear it apart you can replace the bearings fairly easy.

Ian

Junior SCH Member
    Thanks for the tips.

I'll probably keep mine (replace) to keep emissions legal. I've read that if you bypass the smog pump and are running cats, you can eventually clog/damage the cats w/o the extra airflow.

It was exciting when it went, as I was in the middle of tangling with a z06 when the failure occured. Quite embarassing.

I had mine towed, and despite belt debris all over the engine compartment, it did not break.

New smog pump and belt in my immediate future, I guess.

I guess its a minor problem when compared to other problems it could have been.

Alan