Thread: Post YS Install~~Power Steering Problems

Junior SCH Member

Post YS Install~~Power Steering Problems

Hey Guys,

I had a turbo and traded up for a polished YS kit. I installed the kit on my car and am now experiencing power steering problems!

2 Things I'm Unsure about:

--not sure if the belts driving my accessories are on right (will post pic later)
    --not sure if my ps pump is going bad

What I'm getting is feedback through the steering wheel....meaning when going to turn either left or right, the steering wheel sticks in certain spots as you rotate it either left or right.........thought power steering fluid was low, but upon inspecting it while car was running I've got about half level in spout.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated so I can get this sorted out!!

Thanks Alot,

Mike

Junior SCH Member
    the belt tensioner is maxed all the way out so could that possibly have something to do with it??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Junior SCH Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not positive on the brackets the ys uses, but pretty sure the tensioner you have on the far left above the alt is where the smog pump delete goes if you aren't using a smog pump. The top tensioner on the right should be pushing down on the belt. If it pushes the belt too far down onto the waterpump pulley then you might have to do what others have done when using the ford a/c delete bracket, using a smaller cobra water pump pulley and a larger 3.8l tbird power steering pump pulley. But as I mentioned I'm not sure how the routing goes on a ys setup, pretty sure it is the same as a novi accessory setup. If it is, do a search on it in the novi 2000 section for routing the accessories when using a motorsport a/c delete bracket.