Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Why do I blow fuses without a relay on my electric fan????

Thread: Why do I blow fuses without a relay on my electric fan????

Why do I blow fuses without a relay on my electric fan????

I have a sn95 electric fan, and I used to have it hooked to a relay, but now I wanted to try it direct!

This is what I tried to do!

Hook a wire from the solanoid to the switch with a 30 amp inline fuse, and from the switch to the electric fan!

Now I know a bunch of people who do that and have no problem! But I seem to blow a fuse in like 30 seconds! WTF is wrong?

Now when I put a relay in it! It's a 30amp relay and it seems to run fine! Now could you tell me why that is?

I hope to get some replies before tomarrow! I'd rather not use the relay!

Thanks, Mark
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)

Use the relay, lol. I think it has more to do with the amperage that the fan draws upon start up (way more than 30 amps). Relays are made to handle a certain continuous amperage as well as handle "spikes" of amperage that exceed the normal pull. A fuse is desingned to "blow" after a limited amount of time whenever there is a "spike" in amperage draw that exceeds the rated amperage of the fuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
    you just like the metric system because when you talk about your organs length, a three digit number seems to you longer than a one digit number....
    Dart Block 331 and No Power Adder, currently in pieces...... :weird:

Used to run 6.90 @ 100.4 mph in the 1/8th

Just wondering why you want to avoid using the relay? That is what the relay is for. Personally I would prefer only a couple amps at the switch (safer) insead of the full 30 ouch.
    Jason

92 Notch w/ S-trim (6.87/2.95), 04 PMS, UPR pipe, WMS w/b, GT-40Y heads, Cobra manifold, B303, 1.6 stud r/r, 65mm TB, 80mm Pro-M, 42# injectors, FRPP balancer, FRPP aluminum rad, FRPP blue hose kit, Ramcharger fan, Edelbrock w/p, Canton 7qt pan, MAC 1 5/8" shorties, MAC catted H-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, MAC springs, Tokico HPs, MM c/c plates, Steeda X2s, MM adj. rears, Cobra brakes, 17" Cobra R's, 3.55 gears, aluminum d/s, Hurst, Cobra clutch, Kenny Brown subs + K-brace, Ultra-lites, MSD 6AL, GSS340-255lph intank.

well I don't know! Someone told me it might be the fan! Drawing to much, but like I said the relay I had was 30amps and it was fine, but like you said it could probubly handle spikes!

It may be the startup, I mean I plugged in a fuse, and walked outside my car and it was on, and shut the hood, and said wait a minute let me double check it, and when I opened the hood it was out! Maybe it's not reaching it's maximum power on startup when I looked at it!

Now that I said that I wonder how it will be on low speed, because I have it set to high now!

I guess I will just install the relay........ Didn't really want to :) Cause it's going to be under the dash as is the solanoid, and it's kind cramped.......

Thanks
    Mark
    90 GT, With a Forged 383 Chevy, AFR 227 heads, BDS 6-71 Blower with 2 750 edelbrock carbs, all braided lines, TH-400 reverse manual valve body to back it up, and so much more.....
    Want to see?????

Old Times with 302...
    T-5: 12.671@110.52mph(1.951 60ft.)
    Tremec TKO: 12.275@110.89(1.758 60ft)